6 year Surgiversary

billmacc7
on 1/2/17 7:46 am - MA

High-346

Low-196

Last Week-222

Today-219

I was just thinking about how I recently had my 6 year Surgiversary having had Gastric By Pass at Tfts in Boston, MA. So many ups and downs to list that I would not be able to fit it all here!!!

Still, here is a snapshot of my journey:

6 months of pre op work. Day before surgery there was a snow storm. Morning of my surgery had to shovel for 2 hours, then a 3 hour train ride. At hospital scheduled for surgery at 10:00 am. Due to storm, did not have surgery till 5:00 pm. Was so hungry by the time surgery came was ready to eat the pillow!

2 days of recovery went well. Home and off of work for 2 1/2 weeks. Returned to work with no restrictions.

First year lost close to 100 lbs. Very fatigued as well. Started to be able to exercise and develop a routine focusing on Diet, Exercise, Vitamins and water.

Year 2 lost another 50 lbs. Reached a low of 196, lowest I had been since middle school. Able to maintain that for close to a year.

Years 3-5. I had regain which is what some term bounce back weight of 20 lbs. I stayed around 210-215. This is good as it marks a total of 130 lbs lost and more importantly MAINTAINED.

Year 6 was full of highs & lows. I ran a Marathon in May!! It was the singular most amazing thing physically I have ever done. Also, our oldest daughter got married in July and the wedding was wonderful. Still, there were some difficulties. I got Lyme Disease which was horrible. At end of year I was diagnosed with an incisional hernia. I am scheduled for surgery in Feb of 2017.

Early years were simple...MAINTENANCE IS HARD WORK. I do my best to exercise, mindfully eat, focus on NSVs and most of all appreciate being healthy.

I have been able to run 5ks up to a Marathon. I have also done a sprint Triathalons. It is always shocking when I see race results and see my name on as I say did I really do that????

My journey has not been withouth challenges. I struggle with eating EVERY SINGLE DAY, staying consistent with water and vitamins, and motivated to exercise. Still, I am eternally grateful for having the courage to make a change that has benefitted me and my family.

The best advice I could give is to be sure to understand the surgery, whatever type you choose, is a TOOL to help to deal with a long term medical issue of Obesity. It is not cured, but rather the surgery allows you be able to manage it if you are VIGILANT.

Yours in Health,

Bill

Yours in WLS,

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Grim_Traveller
on 1/2/17 8:13 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Cogratulations Bill. You're a great example of what this surgery can do if we work hard. Thanks for sticking around.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

billmacc7
on 1/2/17 11:11 am - MA

TY Grim-I appreciate the kind words! Thanks for your posts they are always a good read...be well

Yours in WLS Journey,

Bill Mac

Gina 21 Years Out
on 1/3/17 3:56 am - Burleson, TX

Bill--Thank you, so much, for taking the time to come here, and share your story.

Something was missing....PICTURES!!!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Kathy S.
on 1/3/17 10:55 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Bill,

You are an inspiration and I remember reading your journey on OH's home page.  Here is the link if anyone wants to check out Bill's success and journey.

http://www.obesityhelp.com/articles/?s=billmacc7

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active