Trouble Losing Weight AFTER Gaining Weight Back

tjlajoie
on 1/11/17 7:02 pm

Quick question seeking some feedback. I had the RNY procedure in 2010 and lost 120 pounds (I started at 300 pounds). However, I probably was a little too thin (179 pounds) and should probably weigh in the 190's area (I weigh 230 right now). I had a roughly two-year period where personal and professional demands caused me to gain a bunch of weight back (around 45 pounds) because diet and exercise took a back seat to other priorities. At any rate about 2 1/2 months ago I got back on track, started Weigh****cher's, and got myself back in the gym. My problem? Weight loss seems to be very slow and arduous...sometimes a half a pound every couple of weeks. I don't expect post-surgery weigh loss numbers/rates but I do recall that prior to having a bypass surgery losing a pound to three pounds a week when dieting and exercising was normal.  Has anyone else who has had bypass surgery and gained some weight back found it difficult to lose weight you gained back? Even when dieting and exercising properly? Thanks!

Laura in Texas
on 1/11/17 7:35 pm

What does "dieting properly" mean to you? Are you tracking every bite? How many calories a day are you eating? When I cut back 500 calories a day from what I normally eat, I lose about a pound a week. It is pretty similar to my rate of loss before I had weight loss surgery.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/12/17 3:32 am

Unfortunately that was my issues. For me to lose my regain not only I had to go on a lower calorie diet - but I had to change what I was eating. 

Even on relatively low calorie diet - if I ate carbs (bread, grains, potatoes) I would not lose or lose very slowly. 

Going very low carbs - but balanced -with moderate proteins and higher fats - not only I stimulated my metabolism but also limited my hunger hormones. 

Can you give us a couple of days of your eating menu? 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

tjlajoie
on 3/8/17 10:21 pm

Sorry so long in replying. Thanks for the feedback. I have gone to a complete abstinence of bread/grains/potatoes/starches & refined sugars. I am eating lean proteins, fruits, and vegetables. The only dairy I am getting is half/half in my coffee. It seems to be helping. I certainly feel different, have more energy, and not having hunger pangs. We'll where this goes. I also don't feel the need to count anything as I am "full" with very little of the right foods, which is good because I know I haven't stretched my pouch out. I am working on eliminating diet soda (I know!).

White Dove
on 1/12/17 4:44 am - Warren, OH

Bounceback regain is the body's way of healing from the starvation of RNY.  From the very first pre-op appointment, my surgeon tells his patients that losing 100 pounds and then having a 20 pound regain is what he expects the body to do.

During my rapid weight loss phase, the first two years, he constantly urged me to lose more weight to have a cushion for rebound.

He does not blame regain so much on non-compliance as on the body being smart enough to begin absorbing more calories.  I never believed that I would regain, but I did.  When I have a regain, it is rapid.  Losing it is slow and difficult.  In my case, my metabolism is slower every year. 

I have learned that goals are the most important aspect of weight loss.  I have to follow strict compliance on eating high protein, low carbs.  The Weigh****cher's diet would never work for me, but going to their meetings and facing their scale is helpful. 

It is much more helpful to me to have an accurate scale and weigh myself daily.  You can still lose, but you have to be extremely diligent about counting calories and carbs.  I set up weekly goals of one pound a week.  If you truly want to lose 30 pounds then prepare for 30 weeks of strict observance to eating 500 calories less than you need to maintain. 

Use a digital kitchen scale to weigh every bite.  Use MyFitnessPal to track every bite.  Track your exercise diligently.  If a week goes by without a one pound loss, then figure out why.  I have a scale that measure water weight, muscle mass and bone weight.  If I don't lose and am holding extra water, then I know I need to increase my water consumption the next week.  If my body gets enough water, it quits holding on to what it has. 

If my body gets less food, then it loses weight.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Laura in Texas
on 1/12/17 6:35 am

I did WW the beginning of 2016 and made it fit my high protein/ low carb diet. The funny thing for me was I had to eat a whole lot less on WW than I normally do when I just cut back and track on myfitnesspal. I did lose more quickly that way but felt like I was starving to death!! 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

nick21bachelor
on 1/12/17 9:49 pm

I cut back 500 calories a day from what I normally eat, I lose about a pound a week. It is pretty similar to my rate of loss before I had weight loss surgery, thankyou.

cabin111
on 1/13/17 7:26 pm

I was almost exactly where you were.  High of 300#, got down to 187#.  First few years I stayed below 200 pounds...But then started to creep up...Trying things I shouldn't (Pepsi, candy, cake, fried foods, ect).  I got up to about 235-237.  I'm now about 217...Not great but much better than before.  I'm over 10 years out.

Here are things that I did to help me to lose the weight.  I cut way way back on simple carbs.  We know how bad they are and they are everywhere...Birthdays, holidays, funerals, weddings.  I upped my water intake and started stuffing myself with raw vegetables...Just to keep that full feeling.  Also added basic protein.  When I would go to the coffee shop, if I don't get a cup of soup for lunch, I would get two poached eggs...Put some breakfast salsa and pepper on them.  If you are stuck doing fast food, make it Wendy's Chili.  Basic things...

I also added hard exercise or work to my schedule.  I use my bicycle a lot.  Also work on a lot of fruit trees and grape vines (pruning, spraying, picking, getting rid of the brush), mowing weeds at the farm and home...gas push mower.  Find an exercise that will fit your schedule.  If you work business...Your 15 minute break or lunch time can be your walking time.  I'm retired, and much of the time I will pay my utility bills by riding to the utility and paid direct (avoid the stamp)...It's not avoiding the stamp as much and getting moving.

Lastly you can cut way way back on your food intake...Still eating the right foods, but more high protein and vegetables.  Go into ketosis (if you remember that taste in your mouth...Lighter fluid).  Be sure you don't get dehydrated.  But being in ketosis for a short period of time may kick start a diet.  Brian 

tjlajoie
on 3/8/17 10:26 pm

Thanks for the input! Your suggestions are almost identical to what I have been doing the last couple of weeks (I'm 7 years out now), especially the 2nd paragraph. I am eating fruits and vegetables. I don't know that I need to "cut back" as I can't seem to eat much when eating the "right" foods. I'll let you know how it goes. I am hoping to get back to 200, or 11 pounds higher than my bottom weight after surgery.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1541 views