Did you have gastric bypass after lapband removal

Tammywantshealth
on 1/11/17 9:41 pm

I am going to the doctors tomorrow to start the process of setting a surgery date for gastric bypass surgery. I want to know if anyone else has done this. What does it feel like compared to the lap band. I was throwing up a lot with the band. There was always a lot of pain and things getting stuck with the lap band. How was the sensation different. I am very nervous but feel this is the best decision for me. Would love some input.

Valerie G.
on 1/12/17 4:33 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

You'll probably get more  responses if you post out on the WLS Revisions forum.  You'll find them from the Forums link at the top.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

rachelp
on 1/12/17 8:25 am
VSG on 08/01/16

From what I've seen on here, people say they feel better instantly. 

Sleeved 8/1/16

HW 285 / SW 276 / GW 160

ladygodiva1228
on 1/12/17 5:23 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

I did and Dr. Pohl is also my surgeon.  The feeling is relief.  No more stuck episodes, no more reflux, no more constant pain. 

I will be 2 years out from my revision in February and I feel it was the best decision I could have made.  I have only thrown up three times since the revision and it was because I ate way to fast and did not chew my food enough.  You learn quickly to chew the food well. 

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Valapp
on 1/12/17 8:02 am

I had my lap band removed and revised to gastric bypass on July 27, 2015.  It was the best decision I ever made! No more food getting stuck, acid backing up at night, no more pain.  Trust me, you will be glad you made this decision. 

HW 280

CW 168

Goal 165

chassibi
on 1/12/17 10:33 am

I had my band removed in 2013 and was so sick of being sick that I didn't revise at that time. Fast fwd to May 2016, and I had RNY. I wish I had done this all along. TOTALLY different ballgame with RNY. LOVE IT...

Consult Weight:276/Surgery Day Weight: 241.6 /Goal Weight: 150

Tammywantshealth
on 1/12/17 10:53 am

can you share with me how you feel its different.  Can you eat and actually feel full?  I remember with band sometimes even after one bite and not being able to eat - or in pain - or gurgling noises.  It was such a pain in the butt.  I kept it for a long time but it was not helpful for me at all.  Im scared to death to have to deal with any more pain but feel is right choice.  RNY is the bypass not the sleeve correct?  Id love to hear all you can to help me along with this decision

chassibi
on 1/12/17 11:34 am

Well there are several differences for me.

1. I actually feel satisfied, not starving. Often with the band it was too tight or too loose. If it was too tight and I ate something and didn't chew it well or one bite too much or it just didn't sit well or WHATEVER the freaking band was mad about that day--up it came. It was basically weight loss by bulimia I felt. I don't usually feel FULL with the RNY (bypass) because as soon as I hit that satisfied feeling, I stop eating. I've vomited a handful of times, the last time was probably 8 weeks ago or more...everytime it was from eating 1 bite too much. I think I'm getting better at knowing my signals though and stopping as soon as I feel satisfied, which we all know is not the same as full.
  2. I can't eat sweets regularly. They make me feel miserable. Heart racing, dizzy, really sleepy. That's a good thing for me, bec with the band I could eat crap all day long, just not protein or veggies.
  3. I can eat a salad now. Or at least a little of one. Could never eat a salad with the band.
  4. I can eat meat now. Couldn't eat dense protein with the band--lots of carbs.
  5. I don't have reflux now. Nothing more miserable than waking up with stomach acid spewing from your mouth and nose.
  6. I've lost 110 pounds so far with the RNY. I lost 70ish with the band, and then started gaining....I think this tool can be a life long one. Unlike the band--which everyone I know personally has issues with...

Now some negatives:

1. I can't eat sweets now. Lol. It is sad sometimes. And I can eat a bite or two, but nothing like a whole dessert.
  2. My head still wants more than I can eat. Food is so psychological. It is a comfort and a stress coping mechanism. That was really difficult in the first few months for me.
  3. I have to take vitamins forever.
  4. I cannot take NSAIDS forever.

There's my pros and cons. Hope this helps!

Chassidy

Tammywantshealth
on 1/22/17 6:10 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. 

Why can you not take nsaids anymore? 

chassibi
on 1/23/17 5:15 am

No one can take NSAIDS after RNY. Your pouch is too small, and it puts you at high risk for ulcers. Tylenol only now. Although I've found after losing 110 pounds that I don't have the pain I did before anyway, headaches, nor body aches--so I find that when I do need Tylenol it works fine.