Post surgery problems

Frenchyprof927
on 1/14/17 2:30 am
VSG on 12/27/16

first let me say thank you for the warm welcome and messages from people. 

My surgery was 12/27 and was supposed to be a ds loop.  After finishing the sleeve and moving to remove intestines, there was a vein adhered in scar tissue from my gall bladder removal 13 years ago.  The vein tore and I was bleeding out.  Once the tear was repaired he decided not to do the loop component.

what should have been a 2 day stay in the hospital turned into 10 days. I am not complaining about my surgeon that is for sure because without him or prayer I would not have survived. I had 11 units of blood total and spent 3 days in ICU. I also now have a hernia that will need to be repaired.

So with that background, I finally came home 1/6 with 50 pounds of water weight. I am walking. I am staying hydrated. I have maintained my protein intake with the exception of 2 days and those were only off by three grams.  My doctor gave me lasix and potassium Wednesday day and it does seem to help some.

Anyone else come back with that much water weight what did I you do?i am not even back down to my presurgery weight and I am very discouraged. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/17 3:40 am
RNY on 08/21/12

50 pounds of water weght? Nope, I'm pretty sure you hold the record.

I hope you feel better soon.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Insert Fitness
on 1/14/17 5:30 am

Wow! Glad you are home and on the mend! I don't have any advice other than to cut yourself some slack! You've been through major trauma. You're following your program, the weight will come off. Keep doing what you are doing.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/17 6:35 am

Glad you are on a mend. It will take time to get rid of tha****er... Unfortunately ...But time is what you have...Walk it off..Drink plain water...(if you can stomach it) . The sodium in the IV is in your system..It holds the water in. That's why it may take a long time to get rid of it...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Frenchyprof927
on 1/14/17 7:38 am
VSG on 12/27/16

Things are looking up. The surgeon didn't seem overly concerned but he did give me 5 days of lasix and potassium. My hands are mostly normal. It is my legs from about mid thigh down that are still swollen. I'm walking a lot more than I was a week ago though so I'm hoping that will boost the loss 

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/14/17 6:59 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

HALA is 100% - it's the F&*(^ sodium.

To keep your sanity while it is leaving your system, I suggest not weighing yourself.  Because, right now you cannot control your weight directly.  Right now, all you can control are the indirect influencers of weight - sodium intake, protein intake, and as oxymoronic as it sounds, additional fluid will help flush the sodium out (as long as you do not have other issues that requires restriction of water intake).

I know that everyone is tempted to jump on the scale 10 times a day to see what is happening - I suggest delaying and weighing at your doctors - weekly to monthly until all the post-op fluid gets worked out of your system.

I am not a doctor, but they may have given you lots of fluid along with all the blood to keep your BP up during your medical crisis.  It's a temporary pain, not an unacceptable price to pay from BEING ALIVE.  When the fluid works its way out of your system, you will be so excited with your progress, because you are doing everything right!!!!!

Sharon

Frenchyprof927
on 1/14/17 7:32 am
VSG on 12/27/16

Everything you say is 100% true. While the intellectual part of me has done well in recognizing that this is post surgical stuff  I can't control, the emotional part is having a difficult time. My surgeon has said everything looks great. My husband and my mom hid my scale. 

I know that I am blessed beyond believe that I came out of that surgery.  I know the hernia can be repaired. I know the pain is temporary. I know the water weight is temporary but even knowing I'm on the right path and came home 50 pounds heavier than I left killed my emotional reserves.  I cried a lot- not enough to get rid of any of the water weight though (lol).

im glad this group is here to offer insight, understanding and support  

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 1/14/17 8:53 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

I, personally would never have weighed myself for at least a week after surgery.  And I did not, and i di dnot have the issues you had.  It is asking for trouble.

Many of u MO or fomerly MO have a problem with delaying gratification.  Just stay away from the scale, and the mirrorm if you have to.  You cannot let the scale have that much power over you - 'to kill your emotional reserves.''  Throw the damn thing out if this is how if affects you.  I did not need a scale until I was seeing my dr less than monthly - after 3 months after surgery. I did not even have one in my house.

Like you, I was following my drs instructions in all things and there was nothing I could do better, so there was no need to weigh frequently.  I do weigh at least weekly now that I am 2 years out. 

But to get on the scale daily at your stage, seems like self-sabatoge.

Sharon

White Dove
on 1/14/17 7:35 am - Warren, OH

I had open heart surgery in March and 37 pounds of water gain.  It took about six weeks to get rid of it.  I had to buy lots of clothes in extra large instead of my usual small.  It does go away, but it takes time.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Frenchyprof927
on 1/14/17 7:41 am
VSG on 12/27/16

I had heart bypass surgery 10 years ago and have been comparing the two surgeries. I don't think my water weight with the heart surgery was any where near what it was with this surgery, but even with the water gain, the healing for this surgery has been much faster and much better tolerated. 

Most Active