Hi Everyone! (Official Intro)

Lipsticklady
on 1/14/17 5:16 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

I am LipstickLady and I realize that I came into YOUR forum like a bat out of hades yesterday with little courtesy and for that I apologize.  Some poop hit the fan on a board that I was a member (and previous mod) of for four years and I was banned with no reason or warning.  Out of shock, several friends suggested I meet them here, a place I joined long ago but never utilized.

So, for a better start...

I had VSG in May of 2013.  I successfully lost 112 pounds and have been maintaining for over 3 years.  I love my sleeve.  It's given me a new lease on life.  Here is a post I made in 2014 at the other board.  It's long but hopefully you give it a read.  

When I started this journey I was 5.3 and 264 pounds.  I had no health issues.  I did martial arts, I went to the gym regularly, I loved to swim laps for exercise, and I didn't have any aches or pains.  My blood counts were good and I *thought* I was very happy with myself.  I had friends, a successful business, a happy husband and kids, an overall great life.

I decided to have surgery because I didn't want my body to start breaking down and I knew it would.  While I could do all those things above, I was starting to get very tired and increasingly lazy.  After an hour of laps, I just wanted to sit in my pool chair and read.  After a three hour martial arts day, I wanted to sleep on the sofa.  I was finding myself watching my family do fun stuff more than participating and I was getting increasingly nervous about going places like the park because I was wondering how I was going to cover up the huffing and puffing and the excessive sweating.  

Looking back, I was truly fooling myself into believing that my life was normal except for my clothing size.  My biggest dread was going to school events and being the fat mom.  I hated that not only for myself, but for my kids.  I knew they would never say so, but what child wants to have the super obese fat mom in the room?   I was very self conscious about going out in public, never wanting a hair out of place, or my hair and outfit less than perfect.  (By God, I may have been a fat person, but I was going to be a perfectly groomed fat person 'cuz that would fool people!  Just like wearing all black would fool them or not actually eating in public would fool them.)

My mental armor against my obesity was a louder laugh, a bigger smile, a heartier personality, and I was always told that I was a bit intimidating because I oooooozed self confidence.  (I am thrilled to say that I have maintained these characteristics, so I did gain something from my time as an obese person.)

Here I am, 1 year later, 111 pounds thinner (but still 5.3.  HA!).  I hit my original goal of 159, and am now about 3 pounds away from my stretch goal of 149.  I really think I want to get to 139, but really, if I never lose another pound, so be it.

I still swim, do martial arts, I TEACH kickboxing, and I zumba my heart out several days a week.  I no longer sweat excessively, I can not only keep up with the family, but I am most often the one who WANTS to go out and do physical things.   After a great exercise session, I have MORE energy as opposed to flopping my happy arse on the couch for the rest of the day.  I am down from a size 20 to a size 6 and I was able to squeeze into a size 4 the other day.  (I turned blue, I couldn't breathe, bend or sit, but I buttoned those *****es!)  

I have done several mud runs and am always looking for more opportunities.  I am looking into becoming a certified Zumba instructor and am attending a 3 day martial arts camp without fear of not being able to keep up.  I can go into public looking like a wreck from the gym and no longer feel like people are looking at me as the sloppy fat woman, and if I buy a cup of fro-yo or have junk food in my cart, I no longer feel the judgmental stares.  (And the meat heads at the GNC actually WANT to help me instead of just ringing me up without eye contact.)

As I start this summer as a thinner person for the first time in 15-20ish years, every day is a wonderment.  I am wearing shorts.  I am buying sleeveless dresses.  I have floppy skin, but I don't care!!  I can buy clothes anywhere I want and I have the freedom to spend my day without focusing on how I look, what I am going to eat, who is looking at me judgmentally, if I am going to be able to fit in a space, if I am going to crowd someone.  I can be so much more spontaneous in my schedule and I am always looking forward to trying new things.  (A super cool perk?  If I get something on my clothes or need a quick change of outfit because something comes up, I can run into the store, buy something off the rack without trying it on and I KNOW it's going to fit!!!  WHAT!?!?!)

Life was good before.  Life is freaking AWESOME now.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Beam me up Scottie
on 1/14/17 5:20 pm
Welcome!!!!! I said the same thing when I buttoned my first size 32 jeans!!!!
T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/14/17 5:33 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Hello & Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you out here & hope to get to know you better. No no dinner & a movie better lol.  There's a VSG forum also just in case you want to stop by & say hello to your fellow VSG'rs. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

(deactivated member)
on 1/14/17 5:49 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Welcome!  You have accomplished so much.  You inspire me.  I am somewhat of a newbie.  I look forward to hearing more and sharing the journey.  Happy you are here.  

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/14/17 6:10 pm

Cool..Hi 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

MyLady Heidi
on 1/14/17 8:33 pm, edited 1/14/17 2:26 pm

Congratulations! And may you have continued success and happiness forever. This board helped save my life when I joined back in 2004 and gave me a new one when I met my husband here in 2014. 

Welcome.

* Nicole *
on 1/15/17 5:03 am

Welcome from another former "fit fatass". Lol 

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

skinny_gigi
on 1/15/17 6:24 am

Welcome to the forum and what an inspiring story!

RNY March 1, 2017 with Dr. Reed.

MC_Akeson
on 1/15/17 8:12 am - Ontario, Canada

OMG!!! I thought I was reading my story!!You hit the nail on every aspect of my life!! And made me laugh too ;-)

We are so much alike (height, weight, background, etc.) Your story just reminded me of why I started this journey in the first place. It brushed off the anxiety and fear of getting my RNY the surgery and second-guessing myself and asking "I really need to go through this or can I do it on my own?" I'm a newbie here and you gave me the boost I needed to go forward. It's not going to be easy, I know, but you inspired me and made me realise what is truly my "why". 

Thank you so, so much and welcome to the group! Keep up the amazing work! I can't wait to read and know more about you. 

RNY: Jan. 31, 2017, Ottawa Civic with Dr. Amy Neville

5' 2"; HW (@ start of Optifast): 267 & 45.5% BF; SW: 247

Lipsticklady
on 1/15/17 3:27 pm
VSG on 05/14/13
On January 15, 2017 at 4:12 PM Pacific Time, MC_Akeson wrote:

OMG!!! I thought I was reading my story!!You hit the nail on every aspect of my life!! And made me laugh too ;-)

We are so much alike (height, weight, background, etc.) Your story just reminded me of why I started this journey in the first place. It brushed off the anxiety and fear of getting my RNY the surgery and second-guessing myself and asking "I really need to go through this or can I do it on my own?" I'm a newbie here and you gave me the boost I needed to go forward. It's not going to be easy, I know, but you inspired me and made me realise what is truly my "why". 

Thank you so, so much and welcome to the group! Keep up the amazing work! I can't wait to read and know more about you. 

Awww...thank you!  You made my day.

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk