Do you really lose more with one type of surgery?

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 12:16 pm

Hey all. So I was talking with my surgeon, as we are still nailing down which surgery is best for me. He mentioned that the weight loss is about the same for Vsg and RNY long term. I swear that I've read RNY is around 75% excess weight loss and had a higher success rate that Vsg. And that Vsg was like 60% excess fat loss. He told me those statistics are being disputed.  Are there new studies/articles showing that the surgeries have very similar results long term? Would love some helpful links or anything. :)

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 12:48 pm - CA

In my opinion, I think it comes down to how well you work your tool, regardless of which tool you have.   If you follow the post op diet and focus on dense, lean proteins and non starchy veggies while eliminating all sugar and simple carbs from your diet, you will lose the majority of your excess weight and be able to maintain that weight loss.   It is imperative that you change your eating habits early on, so that you can have long term maintenance.   Because, regain can happen with any surgery.   

Good luck!  Be sure to let keep us updated on your journey!  I look forward to reading updates. 

Nik

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 12:55 pm

Thanks! I tend to agree with you. Work the tool right by eating right and excercising and you'll get 'er done. :)

Travelher
on 1/16/17 12:54 pm
Revision on 10/04/16

You won't be able to find long term results for the sleeve because it hasn't been around long enough...any estimates are guesswork.  The results look good so far though.  The only surgery that has been around long term is RNY, followed by the band and well the outcomes of those are pretty well known now. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/16/17 1:37 pm

WLS is a tool - how you use it-it is up to you. 

Some % of RNY - we get dumping and RH as long term side effects. Both of them are very unpleasant.  If upset belly doesn't stop me - possibility of having a severe RH - will do that.  So even if I really want that piece of cheesecake - or a few shots of baileys.. you will not find me eating or drinking that.   I still can outeat my RNY if I chose to. 

in a way - my RNY keeps me rather compliant in the dessert department. the size of my pouch - limits my portions... my brian - keeps me from grazing all day long... 

but I had days that i woudl gladly gain 20 lbs if that would allow me to eat my cheesecake or have ice cream once a week...

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 1:45 pm - CA

So very well put!   

odie
on 1/16/17 4:56 pm
RNY on 05/26/14
On January 16, 2017 at 9:37 PM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

WLS is a tool - how you use it-it is up to you. 

Some % of RNY - we get dumping and RH as long term side effects. Both of them are very unpleasant.  If upset belly doesn't stop me - possibility of having a severe RH - will do that.  So even if I really want that piece of cheesecake - or a few shots of baileys.. you will not find me eating or drinking that.   I still can outeat my RNY if I chose to. 

in a way - my RNY keeps me rather compliant in the dessert department. the size of my pouch - limits my portions... my brian - keeps me from grazing all day long... 

but I had days that i woudl gladly gain 20 lbs if that would allow me to eat my cheesecake or have ice cream once a week...

Sorry, I have 2 questions

1.  What does H.e.l.a stand for?
  2. What is RH?

Just nosy!!

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/16/17 4:59 pm
  1. It's my name - Hala (Since It is not very typical - prevents easy Google searches) 
  2. RH- Reactive hypoglycemia. Typical for long term post op RNY , but other post op WLS can get that. As well as normies. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

odie
on 1/16/17 5:05 pm
RNY on 05/26/14
On January 17, 2017 at 12:59 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:
  1. It's my name - Hala (Since It is not very typical - prevents easy Google searches) 
  2. RH- Reactive hypoglycemia. Typical for long term post op RNY , but other post op WLS can get that. As well as normies. 

Oh, okay!!  Thank you!!  I had type 2 diabetes before my RNY and now I do think I am hypoglycemic because I get very shaky if I don't eat soon enough!!  Nice of you to answer my nosy questions!!

(deactivated member)
on 1/16/17 8:06 pm

Thanks for the wisdom. I know I always anticipate and appreciate whatever opinions you have to give on posts. :)