That summer oh so long ago...

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/17/17 7:21 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

I was heavily involved in Boy Scouts in my younger years. I was in crappy shape then. In the  picture below I was 225 pounds at 13 years old, I'm 220 now. When I was 17 my troop did a 50+ mile hike on the Upper Rogue River Trail. I struggled with it back in those days. Fast forward to last summer and this fat man was struggling with a set of stairs. I did ok hunting as long as I "took my time so I wouldn't scare animals".

We always do a week-long camping trip during the summer. I couldn't believe the idea that popped into my head. I told my wife what I want to do and she is up for it. My family will be doing our annual trip on the trail. Yep, all 50+ miles will be done me, my hot little wife, our 7 year old kiddo and a chocolate lab with a skin condition. Will we come out of the woods in one piece or will we become the walking dead? If you don't hear from me again after the week of July 4th, you know the answer. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/17/17 7:28 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

You've got almost 6 months. Start getting the 7 year old used to wearing a pack. Add an extra pound to it every day. By July they should be able to carry all your gear for you.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/17/17 8:43 pm
VSG on 08/29/16
On January 18, 2017 at 3:28 AM Pacific Time, Grim Traveller wrote:

You've got almost 6 months. Start getting the 7 year old used to wearing a pack. Add an extra pound to it every day. By July they should be able to carry all your gear for you.

You are evil, I like it!

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 1/19/17 3:06 pm

Whoa, HFFM, hold the phone.  Let's amend this adoption thing.  If you like the advice of someone who calls himself Grim Traveller, I vote for putting off the big "A" plan until after your hike.  Too bad, though, because it might have been a great family experience for us.

(deactivated member)
on 1/17/17 11:01 pm

Dang that's a super fashionable outfit. Like for real, the shoes, the flannel, the rolled jeans! Literally half my closet.  Lol :)

Highfunctioningfatman
on 1/17/17 11:11 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

Yeah, I was on top of the fashion!  I still have the hat and I still love it though! 

roxytrim
on 1/18/17 3:37 am - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

The best news is gear is far more compact and lightweight now. You've got as much on your back as on your front.  Limit pack weight to 35-40lbs.  But the gooder news is you won't need to carry so much with you - less food, smaller clothes.

What a family fun NSV for a goal, remember to get pooch in shape too...he could carry his own gear 

We will be looking forward to your post July 4 pics.

karenp8
on 1/18/17 4:24 am - Brighton, IL

What a great family goal. Just think how much easier it will be minus the excess weight. Hubby and I are already planning camping and hiking adventures for this summer too. I can't wait.

hollykim
on 1/18/17 5:16 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On January 18, 2017 at 3:21 AM Pacific Time, Highfunctioningfatman wrote:

I was heavily involved in Boy Scouts in my younger years. I was in crappy shape then. In the  picture below I was 225 pounds at 13 years old, I'm 220 now. When I was 17 my troop did a 50+ mile hike on the Upper Rogue River Trail. I struggled with it back in those days. Fast forward to last summer and this fat man was struggling with a set of stairs. I did ok hunting as long as I "took my time so I wouldn't scare animals".

We always do a week-long camping trip during the summer. I couldn't believe the idea that popped into my head. I told my wife what I want to do and she is up for it. My family will be doing our annual trip on the trail. Yep, all 50+ miles will be done me, my hot little wife, our 7 year old kiddo and a chocolate lab with a skin condition. Will we come out of the woods in one piece or will we become the walking dead? If you don't hear from me again after the week of July 4th, you know the answer. 

what kind of skin condition does the lab have?

Vegbeth
on 1/18/17 6:47 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Can I come too?haha. You guys are going to have so much fun.  I love backpacking. I need to plan a trip for the summer just need to find a partner to go with. Maybe I'll start with a little less than a 50 mile trek though. The gear is pretty lightweight now and you'll only need one tent (unless you go ultralight and skip the tent, arg). i hope you post pics when you are back. 

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1343 views