Has anyone had 3 weight loss surgeries?

alowho70
on 1/19/17 2:42 am

I am looking for understanding if 3 surgeries are even possible. I had a VSG about 6 years ago at 339lbs. Three years ago I decided to have GBS not being able to get below 240lbs. Well that surgery was not successful. I did lose ofcourse due to recovery and got to about 190lbs. However eating was always vèry close to no sugical effect. My weight loss was substantially from recovery only.  I have since easily gained back 30lbs. I have done weigh****chers 2x, exercised, I just feel like i still need the tool of help i experienced from my VSG. Has anyone had 3 weightloss surgeries? Or can relate and offer any knowledge about the situation?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 1/19/17 3:13 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm sure you will hear this from others: WLS is just a tool. If you don't change how you eat you will out-eat your tool.  The likelihood is that if you weren't successful after 2 surgeries, a third won't make a difference. Perhaps you need to take a different approach?  Therapy or OA?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

ladygodiva1228
on 1/19/17 4:00 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On January 19, 2017 at 10:42 AM Pacific Time, alowho70 wrote:

I am looking for understanding if 3 surgeries are even possible. I had a VSG about 6 years ago at 339lbs. Three years ago I decided to have GBS not being able to get below 240lbs. Well that surgery was not successful. I did lose ofcourse due to recovery and got to about 190lbs. However eating was always vèry close to no sugical effect. My weight loss was substantially from recovery only.  I have since easily gained back 30lbs. I have done weigh****chers 2x, exercised, I just feel like i still need the tool of help i experienced from my VSG. Has anyone had 3 weightloss surgeries? Or can relate and offer any knowledge about the situation?

If you didn't use your tool right the first two times what makes you think a third surgery will help?  The more surgeries you have the more scar tissue builds up inside of you and can cause issues down the road.

What does your daily menu look like?  Are you measuring and tracking what you eat?  Are you drinking plenty of water daily?

You said you easily gained back 30lbs it would appear to me that you are eating more than you should be.  WLS is just a tool and it is up to each of us to change our lifestyle in order to make the tool work. 

Good Luck to you.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Gwen M.
on 1/19/17 4:14 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that you need to figure out why the first 2 surgeries haven't helped you.  Are you seeing a therapist?  What are you eating every day?  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/19/17 4:30 am, edited 1/18/17 8:36 pm

We can eat around any WLS. And gain weight.  

You had 2.  Not sure any good doc would even consider another WLS on you. 

It is the eating and drinking calories that causes weight gain or loss. If you eat too much and the wrong things - no WLS would help you. 

Any revision from now on would only have potential of really hurt you long term. 

As others said - therapy to find out why you sabotage yourself and can't commit to proper WLS diet. 

Long term post op - for me removing all grains from my diet is a way to maintain or lose weight.  Food like any bread, pasta, cakes and cookies, rice and barley, even quinoa, or any things like that. Anything that is made with or using flour..Like sauces... That not only helps me to maintain but only limits my cravings and ...The other fun things post op WLS like really bad bloating and gas. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

chris_ruff
on 1/19/17 5:31 am
RNY on 04/07/09 with

this sounds dangerous. you had VSG which took most of your stomach, then GBS which either took the rest or stapled most of it. i would be EXTREMELY wary of messing with it any further. as much as it sucks, it sounds like you should take the focus off your gut and put it on your head. therapy, support, and discipline are really the only things that work in the long term. 

--Christina
Laura in Texas
on 1/19/17 5:35 am

You could theoretically revise to the DS. Sadly, it would probably be easy to find a surgeon willing to take your money, but that would be dangerous for you. People die from bad revisions, which happened to a friend of mine, or are left with ongoing problems the rest of their lives. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Lipsticklady
on 1/19/17 5:41 am
VSG on 05/14/13

What is your daily diet and exercise regimen?

What type of revision are you considering?

Most importantly, why do YOU think the first two surgeries were unsuccessful?

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Kathy S.
on 1/19/17 8:13 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Good Morning alowho70

Thank you for having the "guts" to put this out there and I hope you are not turned off by the advice.  To many times members come here and ask for help and they don't like the answer and leave.  I hope you have not!  There can be times although small where there is a medical reason you did not lose weight. This can be determined pretty easy by a scope.  It sounds like your tool is working for you but you are not working your tool.  Now don't think I type that with meanness.  Please read my words and others that have posted. WE ARE HERE TO HELP

By the time we get to the operating room we are the walking examples of failure and low self worth.  But, but, but the biggest fear of all time is what if I don't lose after having the surgery!  Now that is frightening.  When I speak to people on a daily basis I tell them one thing that will get you to goal and keep you there for life!

YOU HAVE TO GET IT RIGHT BETWEEN THE EARS BEFORE RE-ARRANGING YOUR PLUMBING!

Trust me we "All" understand how hard it is.  But you can do it.  Table the thought of another surgery and let us help you back on the losing side.  I did not have the VSG but you have some really smart, caring people here on the VSG forum.  Here are my steps for getting back on track.

1.)  Take it one day at a time.

2.)  Get a handle on your eating.

3.)  Start tracking every bite and amount that goes in your mouth.  Get back to the basics.

4.)  Go to the daily thread Whatcha Eating Today, ask questions, give examples of what you are eating and they will help you.

5.)  Have what they call a come to Jesus meeting with yourself in the bathroom mirror and start noting why you eat and when.  Id your red flags and put things in place to be able to over come them and eventually remove them from your life.

6.)  If it's an option go back to a support group

YOU GOT THIS and we have your back....  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kathy S.
on 1/19/17 8:14 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi alowho70, here is my back on track list for you!

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery?  How many meetings, classes and such did we attend?  We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success.  And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods.  Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling.  This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life.  Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating.  It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband.  It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food.  Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker.  Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself.  Make them realistic and small.  Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea?  I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass.  So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer.  I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving.  If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back.  So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV.  Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active