Stomach pain 1.5 to 2 hours after eating

Babygotsleeved
on 1/19/17 6:58 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced anything like this and what it turned out to be. It doesn't matter what I eat. One and and half to 2 hours after eating my stomach hurts. It goes away if I eat something or sometimes, if I chew a Tums, it will go away for a while. My surgeon says he doesn't know why it's hurting and to use the Tums if they help.

ladygodiva1228
on 1/19/17 7:39 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

It almost sounds like acid if you say taking tums makes it go away for awhile.  Do you take a daily acid reducer?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

Babygotsleeved
on 1/19/17 8:13 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Yes. I take 40 mg Nexium every morning. I asked if I needed something stronger and my surgeon said Nexium was the strongest so it shouldn't be acid.

Donna L.
on 1/19/17 9:06 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I had acid pain a while after eating similar to this.  It was temporary for a few months post-op.  If it continues definitely talk to the surgeon again.

I also still have issues an hour after I eat if the food is very dry.  I don't eat "dry" meat - it's always in broth or dipped in greek yogurt, fat, etc.

Babygotsleeved
on 1/19/17 9:30 am
VSG on 11/29/16

Did you have anything you took for this? I'm still on pureed foods getting ready for soft foods and I have to stay very low fat since I had pancreatitis just 3 weeks ago. :( Keeping food moist is not a problem. lol

Donna L.
on 1/19/17 9:41 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18
On January 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, Babygotsleeved wrote:

Did you have anything you took for this? I'm still on pureed foods getting ready for soft foods and I have to stay very low fat since I had pancreatitis just 3 weeks ago. :( Keeping food moist is not a problem. lol

Tums helped a bit.  Ultimately after 2-3 days of that, I wound up going back to liquids for a few weeks vs. pureed (still was getting 80g protein/day).  I was getting annoyed with the discomfort.  Harvey (my sleeve) is apparently prissy and didn't like pureed food as much!  Kidding aside, that helped a lot.  I wound up skipping purees in lieu of greek yogurt and (yet more) protein drinks.  I did all that under my surgeon's advice, though.  Can always ask if going to liquids would help.  I used hydrolyzed protein which is more expensive but was easier on my tummy.

Sometimes the meat is harder to digest out of the gate, and the protein powder is much easier.  At least for me.  Can't hurt to ask the surgeon's office and see what they think first, though.

All that fuss seems to be worth it though, because during my last EGD, they said my sleeve was flawless and still tight.

Valerie G.
on 1/21/17 10:18 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do you have your gallbladder still?  Keep a food log so you can pinpoint if certain foods and drinks are more likely to cause a reaction.  

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Babygotsleeved
on 1/23/17 6:14 am
VSG on 11/29/16

I do not have my gallbladder. I log everything I eat and it doesn't matter what I eat.  I keep wondering if it is what hunger feels like. I never really felt hunger before surgery unless I had to fast for tests and it hurt off and on like this pain.

odie
on 1/23/17 7:07 am
RNY on 05/26/14
On January 23, 2017 at 2:14 PM Pacific Time, Babygotsleeved wrote:

I do not have my gallbladder. I log everything I eat and it doesn't matter what I eat.  I keep wondering if it is what hunger feels like. I never really felt hunger before surgery unless I had to fast for tests and it hurt off and on like this pain.

Babbs, do you also get shaky when you have those pains in your stomach?  Because that was my sign that I had to eat.  It took me awhile to figure it out because it didn't feel like hunger pains like before surgery.

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Babygotsleeved
on 1/23/17 7:26 am
VSG on 11/29/16

I don't get really shaky, but I do get headachy. If I wait a little it will go away for a while and when it comes back, it's usually time to eat. I read on here at 8 weeks out, that I shouldn't be feeling hunger, but I wonder if it could be. I didn't have this before getting pancreatitis, so maybe it's left-overs from that and it will go away. I sure hope so! Oh well. If this is the worst that happens, I can deal with it. :)

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1244 views