Approximated weight gain over 10 years

Babyladybug
on 1/23/17 9:25 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

I keep asking my doctors and I can't seem to get one coherent straight forward answer from them about it. I realize it's different per each person, but over a period of 10 years, how much weight can I expect to have gained back?

my highest weight ever was 425, to which I lost 110 on my own and then had surgery, and am now 200lbs(and still losing).

but what can I expect in 10 years? I have no problem with problematic eating-that was a thing of the past and I'm determined to never let it falter. I exercise etc. Given that I won't stray from the expectations of surgery, how much over 10 years will I expect to gain back?an Approximation of course.

i just can't find a direct answer. But it might be on me, I have mental impairment from health problems. So if someone could be nice and kind and answer here please and thank you?? 

i appreciate your answers, hope your new year has been well!! thank you. ? 

Gwen M.
on 1/24/17 4:23 am
VSG on 03/13/14

There isn't a one size fits all answer here.  If you stick to your lifestyle, you can maintain your goal weight for forever.  It's not a given that you'll gain a certain amount of weight.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/24/17 5:14 am

I am close to 9 years post op.  I am 10-12 lbs BELOW my personal and my doc goal. 

At one time I relaxed my eating and I was drinking too much wine and I regained app 30 lbs. I lost that going back to basics.  It took me long time to lose the regain. But I was determined. 

It is up to you how much weight you regain. Can be nothing - can be all of that you lost. 

Some people get below their goal and regain app 10% ..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Barbsleeved
on 1/24/17 6:55 am
VSG on 08/22/14

My husband is 11 years post RNY and his low from 300 was 170 (too low). He has gone up to 190-195 and that's where he stays most of the time. He also had a time after quitting smoking were he put on 30 pounds, but took it off and got back down to his 190-195 range. It's all under his control, and it will be yours, too. 

BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES. 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/24/17 8:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

As others said, you will get out what you put into it. If you continue to monitor what you eat closely, you can maintain your loss indefinitely. If you start to return to old habits and ignore both the scale and what you are eating, you will start gaining and reach new high weights.

Regain is not written in stone.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Kathy S.
on 1/24/17 8:33 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Ditto to what everyone said!  I am 13 years out and my surgeon's goal was 160, my goal was 140 and lived 11 years between 114-125.  Recently had a loss in my life and gained 40 pounds.  Got my butt back to the basics and have lost 15 of those pounds and have no question in my mind I will be back to my goal weight this summer.

Use this time to practice how you are going to eat for the rest of your life.  It's your new lifestyle.  Don't all into the pitfall we all did before surgery, when this diet is over I can have 1 french fry, when this diet is over I can have a milkshake, when this diet over I will eat pizza again.

Congratulations on your surgery and we are here to help you hit goal and stay at goal.

If you have not done so go  hang out on the VSG forum, great support and they are very smart too 

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

califsleevin
on 1/24/17 10:40 am - CA

Most practices don't have ten years of experience with the VSG to draw from (and even those that do, the techniques and protocols have changed in that time as they have learned more about it, so those who are ten years out don't necessarily compare with those getting surgery today) but the other answers given here give you some idea - it's quite variable. My doc's practice, primarily with the DS which has better overall regain resistance than the other procedures, sees an average of about 20 lb of gain over ten years, including the frequent overshoot (going too low) and recovery. That's over 20-25 years of experience with that particular procedure, so there is some idea even if it isn't directly comparable to our VSG. 

I'm approaching six years out on the sleeve and still within a ten pound window around my goal weight. The tricky part is often the maintenance phase as learning long term weight control can be a very different skill than the short term weight loss that many have gotten quite good at!

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active