When were you given the okay to start lifting weights?

chula82
on 2/6/17 5:58 am
RNY on 12/21/16

My surgery was Dec 21, 2016.  I was told only cardio (low impact) at first.  So far I've been doing this and just recently started jogging on the treadmill.  Before my surgery I used to do weights and core workouts like Pilates.  I don't see the surgeon until the end of this month which will take me to 10 weeks post op.  I was wondering if I could start incorporating weights for certain areas like arms and legs and maybe hold off on anything that is core and abs? When did you all start adding weights to your workout routines?

Han Shot First
on 2/6/17 6:36 am - Flint, MI
RNY on 10/06/14

My surgeon told me that I was on a 10 pound restriction for 6 weeks, then cleared for all activity.  I definitely lost a lot of strength with my surgery, so I understand wanting to get to weights.  

If I were you, I'd call the surgeon's office, explain that you're almost 7 weeks out and want to start weight training, and see what they say.  But if your surgeon wants you to wait until you see him (her) before doing so, definitely listen to what they say.

--

150 lost and maintaining!

Valerie G.
on 2/6/17 6:38 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

Nothing more than 8lbs for 8 weeks, then talk.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

* Nicole *
on 2/6/17 10:52 am

I would call and speak with your surgeon, to see what they require as some programs are not tailored to the person and are very cookie cutter. But I do not know the rule of thumb on this.

As I was extremely different, my surgeon actually made a different set of rules for me being different from the norm. I was limited 30lbs first 6 weeks, 50lbs for another 4 weeks, then unrestricted just be smart. But as someone who used to lift (all freeweights, I had a clean of 345lbs, squat of 575, etc on top of my already heavy body), I knew how to use my body to properly lift. Not including my job frequently had me picking up 40-75lbs multiple times a day. My body was accustom to it, beyond workouts.

But talk with your surgeon and follow their rules.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Kathy S.
on 2/6/17 1:22 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

This is different for each person.  It depends on what procedure you had, were you open or Lap?  Ask your surgeon he/she is the best judge.  I had to wait months after WLS due to complications.  3 months after PS....  Good luck to you 

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

okiepirate
on 2/6/17 3:20 pm
VSG on 11/08/14

Mine was an easy laparoscopic procedure.  I started light weights 4 weeks post surgery and added 10% per wee****il I reached failure.  I added hot yoga in month 2.5.  Every surgeon is different, but the stomach stucher line should be healed in a month.

ChristineB
on 2/7/17 1:20 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On February 6, 2017 at 1:58 PM Pacific Time, chula82 wrote:

My surgery was Dec 21, 2016.  I was told only cardio (low impact) at first.  So far I've been doing this and just recently started jogging on the treadmill.  Before my surgery I used to do weights and core workouts like Pilates.  I don't see the surgeon until the end of this month which will take me to 10 weeks post op.  I was wondering if I could start incorporating weights for certain areas like arms and legs and maybe hold off on anything that is core and abs? When did you all start adding weights to your workout routines?

You should ask your doctor this question because only s/he knows the extend of the surgical procedure that you went through.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

Fredbear
on 2/9/17 5:04 pm
VSG on 11/29/16

My doc let me start lifting weights at the gym starting at week 4, with the proviso that it had to be minimal, and it couldn't be of a type that would involve my core (so basically arms and legs, spot exercises). At my 2 month appointment I was cleared for whatever I could safely manage.

"Friends are like flowers; no matter how well you pick them, they all eventually die."

Most Active