Ankle Pain

Hiraeth
on 2/13/17 11:25 am
VSG on 08/04/16

I couldn't find a section on these forums for this topic, so I apologize if it's in the wrong spot.

My ankle has been hurting for about 10 years; it all began when I was 14 and in High School. (I weighed 115 pounds at the time, so I know my weight has nothing to do with my ankle pain.)

I was walking to my class one day, and began climbing two flights of stairs. When I stepped back down on my foot, it's as if my foot didn't connect back into my ankle joint correctly. My ankle did not twist in any unusual way. It was completely random. It was as if my ankle just gave out randomly. I went to get an x-ray a few years later (age 17), and the doctor said that he saw a white spot in my ankle joint, and that he would send my x-ray to a radiologist. Well, several days passed and I still didn't receive a call back from the doctor. I called them about 3 weeks later, and one of the assistants said that the results were normal. So that tells me that they didn't send in the results, because it is NOT normal for my ankle to feel like this. I guess that's what I get for going to American Family Care.

Years pass, and my ankle hurts only a little bit here and there. But lately, as of a week ago, my ankle has really started hurting again. I've lost over 65 pounds, so it shouldn't be my weight that is causing this. I haven't been exercising much; just walking 2-3 miles per day. Again, I didn't twist it or do anything that would indicate an injury. I was just walking one day, and out of nowhere, my ankle felt as if it gave out. I'd understand this happening if I were over the age of 50, because then I would assume it's just old age. But I'm only 25, and this first happened when I was 14. 

My symptoms are:
- Crackling sounds when I roll my ankle(s) around. (Both of my ankles do this, and both hurt from time to time. But my left ankle gives me the most trouble.)
- Pain around and between the sustentaculum tali and talus. (The pain sometimes travels between the two and sometimes to my heel.)
- Feeling as if my ankle isn't properly connected to my foot. (When I take steps, it feels like my foot is popping in and out of my ankle joint.)

I made an appointment to see an Orthopedic on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone has any idea what this might be. (Preferably from people who know about ankle injuries or have experienced this before.)

Kathy S.
on 2/13/17 1:20 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

No personal knowledge of this issue, other than once I lost my weight my ankles no longer hurt.  Keep us posted on what the medical doctor says and good luck.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Hiraeth
on 2/13/17 1:26 pm
VSG on 08/04/16

My ankles didn't hurt like this when I was overweight. They hurt here and there, but not to this extent. When I was 13, I weighed 130 pounds. Then I lost 15 pounds, and weighed 115 at age 14. After losing 15 pounds, my ankles began hurting. Eventually, they stopped hurting as much, and only hurt mildly throughout the years. Now that I've lost over 65 pounds, they are hurting again. So I know this isn't related to my weight.

I'm glad you feel better.

(deactivated member)
on 2/13/17 4:27 pm
Hiraeth
on 2/14/17 1:46 pm
VSG on 08/04/16
On February 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM Pacific Time, computercat wrote:

I haven't had this particular problem (my ankles were sprained so much as a kid that they now just randomly give out when walking around, but they don't hurt). I have had experiences with orthopedics that weren't so good.

In my experience, the orthopedic will do some imaging and that won't come back with anything conclusive so they'll give you a sheet of exercises to do at home and maybe something for pain (husband always gets muscle relaxers too, but they may skip that for ankles). If they don't give you a referral to a physical therapist (and your insurance requires a referral), GET ONE. Physical therapy is the best treatment for most common joint/muscle problems.

Thanks for this information! I'd rather avoid this kind of run-around from a doctor, especially since my insurance only covers 85%, and I just can't afford a doctor to bill me for something they can't diagnose, lol. I really do need physical therapy. I looked up a bunch of possible reasons as to why my ankle is doing this. Both conditions said that most people respond well to physical therapy. Thank goodness! 

(deactivated member)
on 2/14/17 2:12 pm
Hiraeth
on 2/14/17 2:17 pm
VSG on 08/04/16
On February 14, 2017 at 10:12 PM Pacific Time, computercat wrote:
On February 14, 2017 at 9:46 PM Pacific Time, Hiraeth wrote:
On February 14, 2017 at 12:27 AM Pacific Time, computercat wrote:

I haven't had this particular problem (my ankles were sprained so much as a kid that they now just randomly give out when walking around, but they don't hurt). I have had experiences with orthopedics that weren't so good.

In my experience, the orthopedic will do some imaging and that won't come back with anything conclusive so they'll give you a sheet of exercises to do at home and maybe something for pain (husband always gets muscle relaxers too, but they may skip that for ankles). If they don't give you a referral to a physical therapist (and your insurance requires a referral), GET ONE. Physical therapy is the best treatment for most common joint/muscle problems.

Thanks for this information! I'd rather avoid this kind of run-around from a doctor, especially since my insurance only covers 85%, and I just can't afford a doctor to bill me for something they can't diagnose, lol. I really do need physical therapy. I looked up a bunch of possible reasons as to why my ankle is doing this. Both conditions said that most people respond well to physical therapy. Thank goodness! 

Yeah, my insurance keeps my cost low, but I've taken so much medical leave for doctors and such that I just can't afford the time off. I injured my back this summer doing deadlifts (bad form) so just went straight to PT. Some PT also require a doctor's prescription, but I called around until I got one that didn't.

Ugh, I totally relate to taking a lot of medical leave. I only have a few hours of leave left. :/ So sorry about your back! I hope you are feeling better. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/14/17 3:50 am

As we are losing weight our body is changing. We walk differently and the alignment is different. Our center of gravity is shifting yet we try to walk as we did when we are MO. 

What was once covert with fat and even hold together by fat - is changing as we lose that fat layer.  Things get loose and get out of alignment much more easy. 

You may need physical therapy to strengthen the ankle and muscles around it. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Hiraeth
on 2/14/17 1:49 pm
VSG on 08/04/16
On February 14, 2017 at 11:50 AM Pacific Time, H.a.l.a. B. wrote:

As we are losing weight our body is changing. We walk differently and the alignment is different. Our center of gravity is shifting yet we try to walk as we did when we are MO. 

What was once covert with fat and even hold together by fat - is changing as we lose that fat layer.  Things get loose and get out of alignment much more easy. 

You may need physical therapy to strengthen the ankle and muscles around it. 

That definitely makes sense! That's probably what is happening. Either that, or I have a certain condition that has come back to the surface because of my shifting alignment. 

Gosh, I lose weight to better my health, and I get something else to give me trouble. I can't win, lol!  Oh well, this is still better than how things were when I was over 200 pounds. 

Insert Fitness
on 2/14/17 3:51 am

Ugh. I wrote out a whole long answer and OH ate it...

To recap:

im not a professional. So take what I say with a grain of salt.

the kinesiologist at my clinic said losing a lot of weight really can impact our physiology ( two of many examples:centre of gravity changes, and being lighter changes our stability)

Even though you say you aren't exercising much, is it more than you were preop? 

Plus, keep in mind we lose muscle mass during this process. So it might be as simple as you had weak ankles the whole time, but did fewer physically active things for a while, and it didn't bother you as much. now other supporting muscles are sore because they've been over compensating for the weak ones.

In addition to the ortho, I'd also suggest getting a referral for physiotherapist  or a kinesiologist. Ideally, someone with experience working with Bariatric patients. You're Bariatric clinic should be able to suggest one. And have you gait assessed, so they can recommend proper runners too! Makes a huge difference! 

good luck!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Most Active