MY 2 week pre-op diet isn't liquids only- anyone else?

ahuesatti
on 2/14/17 7:44 pm
VSG on 02/27/17

Just started my 2 week pre-op diet, and started looking around these forums... I only saw people did liquid pre-op diets. I know I can't be the only one eating food!

Who else? My diet guidelines are from the dietitian in my surgeon's office. I have to get a minimum of 70 grams of protein and maximum of 30 grams of carbs each day. There are a couple other details, but that's basically it. I switch to clear liquids 24-hours before surgery.

Excited- 2 weeks to go!!

theAntiChick
on 2/14/17 8:40 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

My surgeon called her pre-op diet a "fast".  I do not think that word means what she thinks it means... ;)

I was to drink 2-3 protein shakes per day, plus one "healthy" meal.  I could also have "healthy" snacks during the day if I was struggling with too much hunger.  "Healthy" meant low fat, low sugar, with emphasis on lean meats and non-starchy veggies.  However, she didn't impose any carb or calorie restrictions.

So no, you aren't the only one, and the pre- and post-op instructions vary from surgeon to surgeon.  Don't go looking for logical consistency!!  ;)

Good luck, you're going to do great!

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

CC C.
on 2/14/17 8:51 pm

Princess Bride! 

theAntiChick
on 2/14/17 9:04 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

I never waste an opportunity for a Princess Bride quote.

I caught my hubby by saying at the beginning of my online dating profile "No, there is too much, let me sum up..."   Bwahahaha.  :)

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

CC C.
on 2/14/17 8:50 pm

No prescribed pre-op diet at all for me, I just had to lose 10 pounds in a month and a half. And no eating or drinking after midnight the night before surgery. 

AggieMae
on 2/14/17 9:33 pm
VSG on 10/25/16

I was put on a 1000 calorie high protein/low fat, low carb diet pre op.  Lots of salad, skinless chicken and fi**** was supposed to be for a month but the surgeon had an opening in her schedule so I didn't do it for a whole month as planned. Maybe it's because I didn't have a fatty liver?

Some of the people in my pre op group meeting who had the same surgeon where put on full liquid diets. Might it have to do with the person's starting weight or amount of abdominal fat? 

califsleevin
on 2/14/17 9:37 pm - CA

What you are noticing is called "adverse selection" and is quite common on internet forums - people with negative experiences (like having to do 2-3 weeks or more of liquid dieting) will readily post about them while those with positive or nominal experiences have little to post, so the impression gets skewed. Check out forums on your favorite car or whatever, it will seem like "everyone" is having problems that actually only affect maybe an unlucky 5%.

Functionally, what your doctor and dietician is doing is all that is needed to get what benefit can be attained in a relatively short time - a low carb diet to improve liver condition prior to surgery; an all liquid diet doesn't provide any additional benefit but some docs do them for their own reasons. And, as Cecily indicates, many programs don't do any pre-op diet at all beyond the usual day before surgery thing. We just don't hear a lot about them as there is little for people to complain about.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

G2GAWAY
on 2/14/17 11:29 pm
RNY on 05/16/15

Mine was a week long with two protein shakes, popsicles, and one meal a day that was either Wendy's chili or a frozen Lean Cuisine type entree.

Cory

5'7" Starting Weight: 305

Current Weight: 145

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/15/17 3:36 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Mine was also one week with 2 protein shakes, one low calorie/high protein meal, and one low-fat cheese-stick as a snack. I was a "lightweight" going into surgery (had already lost 34 pounds pre-op).  Though this is their usual pre-op diet, I got the impression that the requirements (and possibly even the pre-op diet) could vary depending on starting weight.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

sds0029
on 2/15/17 4:58 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

Had a 2 week preop of premier protein drinks for breakfast and lunch and a lean meal for dinner.  No carbs.  After reading many posts of all liquids only.  I was thankful and I thanked my surgeon.  

Most Active