Vitamin Patches- Use Cautiously

NHPOD9
on 2/18/17 3:04 pm

When I first heard of the patches from Patch MD, I was excited by the notion of greater ease and simplicity, but hung back from using them until I heard from others about their effectiveness. When it seemed, from reading on here, that everyone was having success with them, I started using them with my two problem areas: iron and calcium. Fast forward six months. I just got my recent blood work back and my iron and calcium levels have tanked. Now I'm looking at infusions and working to bring back my levels.

I mention this as a caution to those of you using the patches and not keeping an eye on or tracking your levels.  Apparently some of us don't really absorb these well. As there only ever seems to be positive stories posted about these, I felt it necessary to share my own experience. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Beth C.
on 2/18/17 3:22 pm
VSG on 01/19/17

Many places warn about them and then others rave.. I wish they were reliable as it would make it easier.. I'm sorry this happened to you hope they get you back on track soon. 

Heaviest-325

Starting W-243

Surgery day-227

NHPOD9
on 2/18/17 4:37 pm

Thank you. I just wanted to gently alert folks that they may not work for everyone. However, regardless of how we supplement, it's always important to be proactive in monitoring your own trends. Had I not pushed my PCP to test for iron and calcium, I would not have known. 

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

Djmohr
on 2/18/17 8:25 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I have found as well that i have to be on top of this with my PCP. They simply don't understand the importance of checking your nutritional elements. I happen to have moved states post surgery and with that my insurance no longer covers anything to do with bariatric surgery. So, I literally have to show up at my PCPs office with the list of required tests and request that we run them.

I found out the hard way to ensure she doesnt even mention the word bariatric in her coding of these tests. Last June when I had them pulled she coded them and in the coding the word bariatric showed up. Well Cisco/Cigna immediately denied the claims. I got a bill for 2363.00! After 3 months of fighting with the insurance company I paid the bill because my clinic was going to send it to collections and I did not want it to ruin my credit rating. This all started on June 24, 2016. I got a letter from my original bariatric center in Minneapolis clearly stating that these are medically necessary tests and if not done annually could results in serious health issues including irreversible neurological problems.

Well, I am still fighting, my doctors office also appealed it for me after I wrote them a letter and included a copy of that letter from my bariatric center. The doctors office realizing their mistake in coding resubmitted at the request of the insurance company. They got the new coding and immediately denied the claim again now asking for my medical records from the date of service. That was in December. The doctors office never receive that request nor did I receive notice of the denial again. I literally have been calling the insurance company and the doctors office hand holding this issue. 

The scary part about all of this is that there is a time limit on the claim. I am giving them one more week to get their crap together and then I am appealing them at the state level.

I am not sure if others have ever run into this situation but I am telling you that you have to stay on top of having your doctor order the right tests and ensuring they code those tests properly. I cannot afford 2300.00 for blood tests annually and I have to have the tests......

What the heck is wrong with our health care system.

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/17 4:07 am
VSG on 10/11/16

It is more than just the health care system. While that is what is pertinent to the discussion here, the problem manifests itself in every area of life anymore. On the whole, people are just going through the motions at their jobs. They are distracted, self absorbed, and inattentive. This doesn't apply to everyone of course, but it applies to enough people that it makes a significant impact on everyone. 

Add in the complexity of our society and you might as well try juggling chainsaws while riding a unicycle, trying to make sure every procedure you need to follow is being followed properly. Coupled with the distraction above, you get the scenario you just described that is causing you so much trouble. 

I lost my whole morning a couple days ago when my insurance agent of 30 years sent me to a repair shop with a time and confirmation number over the phone. I arrived only to discover he hadn't actually scheduled it for that day, but for next week. Oh well, we're very sorry sir. Come back later. That's nothing compared to the grief you're experiencing, but it happens all the time - at least to me. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/19/17 7:10 am, edited 2/19/17 12:54 am
VSG on 10/31/16

Times and people have changed big time. Years ago I pursued weight loss surgery (same center I actually had the surgery in Oct.) I was charged $900 for blood tests and paid out of pocket, $800, for the psych. eval.  Reason being that the surgeon ordered the blood tests, etc.. and not my PCP.  I too questioned the "codes" and fought but to no avail. I paid the $900. This time, when I actually had the surgery at the same center, but different insurance company, they paid for all of the blood tests and psych. eval. For some reason, the process came without a hitch. I waited a number of years before pursuing this last time, I couldn't afford that kind of $. Feeling for you big time!  What a pain.  

chevtow41
on 2/20/17 9:36 am
DS on 11/11/14

I ask my PCP to use "malnutrition" as reason for my blood draws and have had zero issues with my insurance company. Just an FYI that will maybe work for you?

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 2:30 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks for posting this info. It's important to be mindful of this stuff. I moved preop from a state where my insurance specifically excluded any treatment at all for weight loss. How messed up is that. I paid out of pocket for much of my preop blood work and for my initial consults here (as I was still living out of state when I started the process). If I hadn't moved (for other reasons) I would have had my surgery in Mexico. Glad I didn't have to take that option. 

Dot T.
on 2/22/17 10:43 pm - Bartlesville, OK
On February 19, 2017 at 4:25 AM Pacific Time, Djmohr wrote:

I have found as well that i have to be on top of this with my PCP. They simply don't understand the importance of checking your nutritional elements. I happen to have moved states post surgery and with that my insurance no longer covers anything to do with bariatric surgery. So, I literally have to show up at my PCPs office with the list of required tests and request that we run them.

I found out the hard way to ensure she doesnt even mention the word bariatric in her coding of these tests. Last June when I had them pulled she coded them and in the coding the word bariatric showed up. Well Cisco/Cigna immediately denied the claims. I got a bill for 2363.00! After 3 months of fighting with the insurance company I paid the bill because my clinic was going to send it to collections and I did not want it to ruin my credit rating. This all started on June 24, 2016. I got a letter from my original bariatric center in Minneapolis clearly stating that these are medically necessary tests and if not done annually could results in serious health issues including irreversible neurological problems.

Well, I am still fighting, my doctors office also appealed it for me after I wrote them a letter and included a copy of that letter from my bariatric center. The doctors office realizing their mistake in coding resubmitted at the request of the insurance company. They got the new coding and immediately denied the claim again now asking for my medical records from the date of service. That was in December. The doctors office never receive that request nor did I receive notice of the denial again. I literally have been calling the insurance company and the doctors office hand holding this issue. 

The scary part about all of this is that there is a time limit on the claim. I am giving them one more week to get their crap together and then I am appealing them at the state level.

I am not sure if others have ever run into this situation but I am telling you that you have to stay on top of having your doctor order the right tests and ensuring they code those tests properly. I cannot afford 2300.00 for blood tests annually and I have to have the tests......

What the heck is wrong with our health care system.

This scares me, there is no way I can afford to pay that kind of money for labs...  Can I call the insurance company and ask if they will be covered before I have them done? We've changed insurances since the last time I had labs done and this insurance isn't as good as our last insurance.

Djmohr
on 2/22/17 11:02 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

You can call your insurance but it is simply important for your doctor to code them as monitoring for malnutrition or something along those lines. you might talk to both doc and insurance ahead of time.

It is critical you have them done so you just need to work it out ahead of time.

good luck!