Planning a big trip 4 months after surgery

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 9:50 am - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

So I'm in the process of planning a trip of a lifetime (to Australia) which will take place 4 months after surgery. Because of certain logistics I really can't put it off past that. As a vegan, I think it's going to be really hard getting my protein in so I'm planning on relying on bars and protein powder shakes as well as dried nuts, seeds and beans. I'm at the 2 month point now and just got clearance to eat what I want (high protein, low carb) so I'm taste testing some of this stuff now.

My question for folks is first does this diet sound like it could sustain me adequately (I'm not looking for optimally) over a 3 week trip?  I'm sure I will be able to do some supplementing with restaurant meals but I know finding high protein vegan meals at restaurants will be hard but I should be able to find some low carb veggies to eat. 

My second question is how should I expect to feel at 4 months out?  This is going to be a very active trip. I'm already planning a 6 mile hike, several shorter hikes, snorkeling and of course lots of walking. Right now I feel pretty good and only expect my energy will be increased by then.  My only problem now is that my energy in the mornings is poor. 

Thirdly, how does one navigate restaurant meals to avoid negative consequences?  I would hate to have my first episodes of vomiting, dumping syndrome, etc in the middle of my trip. I pretty much ate at home even before surgery (I like to cook) so other than avoiding the obvious stuff like no deserts or fried foods are there hidden triggers I should look for? 

Advice that folks have would be most helpful though please don't suggest I eat meat! Thanks in advance. 

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 10:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Wow, first of all congratulations on a trip of a life time!  Take me    Take me    Talk to your surgeon and your nutritionist for suggestions on how to naviage all the speed bumps you may encounter.  It's hard to say what you eat and not as everyone is different after surgery and then you have to take it one day at a time.  I loved salmon and could not stand the smell of it for 6 months after surgery.  So you will know what to eat and not at a restaurant when you get there.

Reach out if you have not done so to the members on the VSG forum.  They may have some suggestions too  

We can't wait to see the photos from your trip.  

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 2:14 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Thanks  I'm very excited about it!

I absolutely will be talking to both of these folks. I've already mentioned it to the surgeon. I have my 3 month checkup before my trip so I plan to go into that with a load of questions. I'm just a planner and like to get started early preparing anything I can. 

Kathy, do you think I should cross post this question on the vsg forum?

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 2:28 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Yes and here is the link...

Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy Forum (VSG)

suzzzzz
on 2/22/17 10:49 am
VSG on 06/23/16

Sounds like an awesome trip. I eat out a lot and have never had an issue. I am not vegan so can't help you there.  Before your trip, go out to eat more and try a variety of things and see if you have any issues. Not sure that will help much though because some say one day they can eat a particular thing and the next day they cant. I feel lucky to have an iron sleeve at 8 mths out.  And, you should feel really good at 4 mths out, but preparing for a 16 mile hike should be started now. Especially if you will be carrying a backpack.

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 2:19 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

So far my sleeve has been pretty iron, too. I've had very little problems with food after I got past the initial week or so. I am definitely prepping for my hike, working out and training but it's actually only a 6 mile hike (but in the desert) and I will only be carrying a day pack but it will have lots of water and protein bars in it!

thanks for your suggestions. I'll try some restaurant meals before I leave. 

Valerie G.
on 2/22/17 11:10 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

By 4 mos I felt totally like myself.  For eating stick to meat and veggies that you know, and don't be afraid to ask for half portions or to share a meal with a traveling partner so you can taste things but not have a whole plate of food to not eat.  I just explain that my appetite is small for capacity, but I love delicious food just the same.  That usually sways them in my favor for a half-plate without explaining that I had wls.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Vegbeth
on 2/22/17 2:20 pm - Boston , MA
VSG on 12/28/16

Can't eat meat but thanks for the other suggestions. 

Kathy S.
on 2/22/17 2:30 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have mail  

NYMom222
on 2/22/17 12:10 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Physically you will feel fine as long as you keep your vitamins, fluids, and nutrition up. I would try out some of the Syntrax Protein powders- they are 100% whey isolate and they have flavors that will taste good in water, as you won't have a blender, or nut milks necessarily available. The only one I've tried of the non-milky based ones is the fuzzy navel,(orange) and loved it so much I have stuck with it. I over dilute it and then a an extra touch of sweetener. 100 calories and 23 or 24g of protein, I forget exactly.

I just bought these individual packets for my last trip... Fuzzy Navel

Not sure where on the Internet...but I know their are sites were you can buy all the flavors of the individual packs to try. I know they have lemonade, ice tea, etc...

They are good because you will always be able to ge****er, bring a shaker bottle and you are good. I find shake, let it sit a few minutes to dissolve and then shake again...

I am sure there are protein bars in Australia you can find... So I would just bring some for the plane. You want to have enough food for long plane trips. I also make my own trail mix which might be good for the plane ride as well. I do a mix of assorted nuts, usually either sunflower and/or pumpkin seeds and a little bit of raisins and soft dried apples (get at Aldi's or Trader Joes) I've cut into small pieces for some sweetness. It is trail mix, so remember portion control.

If you planned 2 protein drinks a day and one bar... while I think it is better to get more protein from real food, you would at least be in the ballpark with your protein.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1380 views