New to me Calcium

Gwen M.
on 2/24/17 4:17 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I recently switched to using bariatric advantage calcium chewables.  I had been using the patch and, before that, the calcium chews.  

The chews were like Starburst consistency - I'm sure that's what many people use.  I'd never heard of the chewables but they've got a better bone health mix than the chews, so I opted to try them.  They're like... compressed powder cakes.  I went with chocolate and it's like a small disc of compressed hot chocolate powder.  

The first couple times I tried chewing them up since, hey, they're called chewables!  This proved super gross since they're dry and chalky.  Yesterday I tried to just suck on them, like a mint, and that was actually pretty great!  The taste is fine and they're only 5 calories per pill which is better than the chewy ones.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 5:12 am, edited 2/23/17 9:13 pm

I used to love the cherry chewable... Then realized the sugar alcohols in them really messed me up. Or some other stuff in them (my gut was hurting and I got gas) ... So I had to stop using them.

I realized they were a problem when I had to stop all supplements for 4 days. It took 3 days for most of the symptoms to go away....I introduced one thing a day to find out what was causing worst symptoms. It was iron..(any form - just kill me) calcium chewables, and chewables multi. 

But then my gut is "specially *****y". 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Miss Liss
on 2/24/17 6:50 am

I swear our guts are sisters.  LOL.  I can't do the chewables either.  Anything with sugar alcohol causes me gut distress.  I can't even chew my favorite gum anymore without consequences.  I didn't need it anyway with my TMJ.  Ha.  Most supplements chewed or swallowed make my tummy hurt.  I just have to do the patches and pray I'm getting what I need.  I go for bloodwork soon to make sure.    

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 9:48 am

yeap yeap yeap...

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NHPOD9
on 2/24/17 5:22 am

I really like the Celebrate chewables.  I find the BA brand to be chalkier than the Celebrate ones.  My only issue with the Celebrate chewables is that if I order them from Amazon, they often come broken and in many pieces.  

~Jen
RNY, 8/1/2011
HW: 348          SW: 306          CW:-fighting regain
    GW: 140

He who endures, conquers. ~Persius

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/24/17 8:38 am
RNY on 12/31/13

I love Celebrate's chewables, too -- thankfully I have no issues with them.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/24/17 6:11 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I have the caramel chews.  I like them alright but I don't eat them anymore.  My blood work has been fine on the calcium side. To me they seem like eating candy.  I've had issues of eating too much candy so I don't really trust myself with those.  I did eat them post op because I "had" to but now that the labs are rolling in well there are two bags of them in my cabinet that I should send to my sister who could use them.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

catwoman7
on 2/24/17 7:15 am
RNY on 06/03/15

the BA chews are part of my calcium arsenal (along with Upcal D powder).  I like the caramel and coconut the best.  Chocolate peanut butter are second, but totally fine.  Haven't tried any of the other flavors.  Sugar alcohols don't bother me in small amounts (but large - yep!)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

jenorama
on 2/24/17 9:03 am - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

I was doing the BA chews, but they didn't have any magnesium and I started getting bad leg cramps, so now I do just the giant calcium citrate pills from Costco and separate magnesium. I do have a whole barrel of the chocolate wafers and like you found chewing on them utterly disgusting. I might have to try them again tho using your method. 

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/24/17 10:10 am

That Costco pills also have B6. Next time you have labs - make sure the B6 is tested. High level of B6 can be toxic and can cause permanent nerves damage. 

Most Active