The hard days

(deactivated member)
on 2/25/17 8:43 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Up until today, my short journey has been pretty easy for me other than a few concerns of "am I doing this right". Today was really hard to eat the right things, especially since I am now on solids. I have run around like crazy trying to take care of funeral things for my grandfather since my grandmother can't handle it. I think the stress ate me alive today. I feel like I failed today. I skipped breakfast, ate a crunchy taco out (no lettuce, or sour cream, just meat and taco) for lunch, and my dinner was about a half cup of home made chicken noodles and then a think thin protein bar. I am no where near my protein needed, or my liquids in for the day. Sort of feel like a failure today. I suppose all I can do is make sure I am back on track tomorrow morning.

Idreamofforeverhealthy
on 2/25/17 9:28 pm
VSG on 02/01/17

Yep. I've been seeing your posts. You're doing great.  One day is not failure. Bru**** off and pre pack some things for tomorrow so that you get your goals met. Being human doesn't mean perfection, and being successful means learning from the slip ups and coming out stronger. 

Rachel 

I had a VSG 2/1/17.

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 2/26/17 3:38 am

Why so hard on yourself?  Life happens and, this time, it's sadness and responsibility surrounding the loss of your grandfather.  You're not a machine.  Put a little effort into scheduling yourself for tomorrow (today?) so that you get more protein and fluid, but don't punish yourself.  You're fine. 

Insert Fitness
on 2/26/17 3:40 am

I am sorry for your loss and that you are going through such a stressful time. 

You're right, you just need to make your next decision one that's better for you. These are big changes, and we aren't going to be 100% perfect every time. 

I think many us have that all or nothing mentality, and it leads to failure and disappointment.

Having said that, Im not suggesting we use "nobody is perfect " as an excuse to make less healthy choices. Just to cut yourself some slack, and work on continuous improvement.

Do you have a physical list of why you had surgery? If not, make one. And refer to it daily. Keep the big picture at the front of your mind. It's corny, but it really does help.

take an hour and pull together foods you can keep with you on the go over the next few days. I don't know what you can tolerate  but things like:

premade shakes, boiled eggs, egg muffins, sliced single servings of protein you can keep in the fridge or freezer, and pull out and grab as needed. Single servings of cheese and nuts in baggies.Etc. 

Fill a few sports bottles with water, so you always have water with you. Flavour it if you need to.

take your vitamins.

it sucks you're dealing with this so early post op, but we are always going to have stressful situations. It's important for us to learn how to take care of ourselves during them. 

Good luck, take care over the coming days.

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 4:54 am

One thing that really helped me in the beginning was taking a fifteen minute walk after meals . It's a stress reliever helps you heal and is probably already part of your doctor recommended post surgical protocol. 

Sorry for your loss. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 8:27 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I love walks now. I didn't before surgery but now I look forward to it every day especially after I eat! I find it helps my digestion as well as clear my head.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 2/26/17 5:39 am
RNY on 12/31/13
On February 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM Pacific Time, Insert Fitness wrote:

I am sorry for your loss and that you are going through such a stressful time. 

You're right, you just need to make your next decision one that's better for you. These are big changes, and we aren't going to be 100% perfect every time. 

I think many us have that all or nothing mentality, and it leads to failure and disappointment.

Having said that, Im not suggesting we use "nobody is perfect " as an excuse to make less healthy choices. Just to cut yourself some slack, and work on continuous improvement.

Do you have a physical list of why you had surgery? If not, make one. And refer to it daily. Keep the big picture at the front of your mind. It's corny, but it really does help.

take an hour and pull together foods you can keep with you on the go over the next few days. I don't know what you can tolerate  but things like:

premade shakes, boiled eggs, egg muffins, sliced single servings of protein you can keep in the fridge or freezer, and pull out and grab as needed. Single servings of cheese and nuts in baggies.Etc. 

Fill a few sports bottles with water, so you always have water with you. Flavour it if you need to.

take your vitamins.

it sucks you're dealing with this so early post op, but we are always going to have stressful situations. It's important for us to learn how to take care of ourselves during them. 

Good luck, take care over the coming days.

Excellent post here.  My favorite part is: 

I'm not suggesting we use "nobody is perfect " as an excuse to make less healthy choices. Just to cut yourself some slack, and work on continuous improvement.

So often, we are very black and white when it comes to our weight.  For me, berating myself and then going completely off the rails was a pattern that led me to being 350 pounds over the years.  I would have a terribly stressful event, no plan, eat poorly, beat myself up over it, feel like a failure and then eat more crap since "I already ****** up today anyhow."  

To the OP -- I am so sorry for your loss.  It IS REALLY HARD -- and for you, you have two huge stressors: the loss of a loved one AND an entirely new lifestyle that takes away your best coping device --- that you probably feel you need for your first stressor.  Be kind to yourself and PLAN PLAN PLAN.  That is your best defense until you get further in this game.  You didn't fail, you've learned something.  You can do this.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 8:22 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I have never thought to make a list of why I had the surgery. I thinknit os a good idea though. Today I plan to make a much better effort to fuel my body the way it needs to be. I had no real plans before of what I would do if my day was spent out since it usually isn't. Now I do though thank you so much for your response

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/26/17 4:55 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Don't expect to be perfect every day, but definitely start over the next day following your plan. One day of being off plan does not make you a failure, it makes you human.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gwen M.
on 2/26/17 5:16 am
VSG on 03/13/14

One of my favorite quotations is, "why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves back up."

the only way you'll be a failure is if you let a suboptimal day define you. It doesn't. You made choices that weren't great, but you still have complete power to make choices that ARE great. And you will. 

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Most Active