Frustrated

michele10369
on 2/26/17 10:01 am
RNY on 01/23/17

I am 5 weeks post ok. At first I was doing pretty well. Then I got dehydrated. Went to the ER for IV fluids and felt so much better. PROBLEM, I've gained 7 pounds in a week. I am able to eat now, but not very much. There shouldn't be any reason for gaining that much weight. I can understand a few pounds due to the IV. Has anyone experienced this at such an early point?

(deactivated member)
on 2/26/17 10:31 am

Yes! IV s always blow you up ! Don't worry it'll go away after a few weeks . It does take the body a while to pump it all out very slowly. 

michele10369
on 2/26/17 10:41 am
RNY on 01/23/17

Thank you so much. Its really been getting to me. Very depressed over it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 2/26/17 11:44 am, edited 2/26/17 9:47 am

And once you lose all that liquid ...It would be time for another IV in ER. 

You were dehydrated. Once they hydrated you - you body is able to retain water. The gain - is the water your body need to live. And function.

When my weight goes really low these days- I know it is most likely due to dehydration. And that I need to eat something salty and drink a lot of liquids. And when I do that - I may "gain" up to 5 lbs. But I know this is good for me. Because not only I am not going to pass out when I get up from a sitting position, but I also will have better BM (we need water for that) and it is better for my kidneys. 

Don't worry about ,"weight gain," as long as it is not "fat gain". Water is good for you. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

patchoulli
on 2/26/17 3:30 pm - port charlotte, FL

Do not allow yourself to become dehydrated.  Sugar free Gatorade, crystal light, anything!   When you get iv fluid,. It has saline in it, this helps you retain fluid.  You may have to sip every 15 minutes, whatever it takes. 

michele10369
on 2/26/17 3:55 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

I think trying to train myself to sip has been a big obstacle. I still find myself trying to guzzle my water. Old habits die hard lol. I do think I am going to set my phone to remind me to drink every 10 or 15 minutes.

Eggface
on 2/26/17 4:48 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Do the set the alarm thing for sure... our bodies are smart and protective and it will hold on to tha****er if it isn't sensing homeostasis... so it seems odd but basically you have to pu****er in... for it to feel OK with letting go of it. 

You will see that scale swoosh soon. 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

michele10369
on 2/26/17 4:56 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

Thanks so much for your input. I really appreciate it.

White Dove
on 2/26/17 8:02 pm - Warren, OH

I use a scale that measures weight, BMI, muscle weigh****er weight and body fat.  It is easy for me to tell when my water is higher.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

michele10369
on 2/27/17 12:55 am
RNY on 01/23/17

Where did you find your scale? I'd love to buy one like it.

Most Active