"Revenge" Weight Loss

Lauren010110
on 3/3/17 12:20 pm - Victorville, CA

is it just me or is anyone else scratching their heads over this term? Shouldn't the main goal be for yourself? That push, that drive to be a healthier person FOR YOU?

I found when I was losing weight (through the fifty million diets I went through, prior to my WLS), it was "for someone else" or "Someone else's approval"... I finally found success when I made the decision to get healthy for ME!

Thoughts?

SarahSmiles94
on 3/3/17 12:34 pm
RNY on 03/30/17

I agree! If I'm honest, part of the reason I do want to lose weight is partially because I'm tired of people viewing and treating me different. So in a way, I am doing it a little bit for other people. But I'm also doing it to get healthy, live the life I desire, not be in pain, etc.

I think maybe it could be a catalyst for someone's weight loss journey, but I really don't think weight loss based on other people is sustainable long term. They'll burn out!

People come and go, but you're stuck with you your whole life. ;)

Lauren010110
on 3/3/17 12:58 pm - Victorville, CA

I agree with you!!

CC C.
on 3/3/17 1:01 pm

Seems like a recipe for failure to me. I'm all for a few frivolous motivations like better clothes, or looking pretty, among the deeper ones like improved health and energy for living a fuller life. But revenge rarely works out well. What if the person could care less what you weigh or look like? Now you've just lost your motivation to keep it up.

Lauren010110
on 3/3/17 1:06 pm - Victorville, CA

Exactly my thoughts!!!! ...and what happens when they see you? is that it? ... they want you back? why the breakup... so many "what-if's"!!!

CC C.
on 3/3/17 1:09 pm

Sooo many!

And the fact that a Kardashian is making a "thing" and a whole show out of this speaks volumes to me...

Lauren010110
on 3/3/17 2:34 pm - Victorville, CA

I just shook my head when I saw previews for that show... I am not a fan of the family empire, so I know I won't be watching it but I just want people to be honest with themselves!

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/3/17 3:48 pm

I know what you mean about clothes and prettiness, but they aren't "frivolous" reasons to lose. All reasons that comes under the heading "What I want for myself" is valid and important. Each is a positive, motivating force.

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/3/17 3:39 pm

The heart can be pretty damned angry, petty, shortsighted or misguided or any combination thereof. I don't waste time on that one, but wedding weight loss, another stupid reason to lose, makes me laugh.

The bride loses weight so that she'll look great in the dress and in the photos and video. Her efforts translate to "I want to lose weight for one day out of a lifetime." She succeeds in looking great for it, then immediately begins to regain.

VSGAnn2014
on 3/3/17 4:36 pm, edited 3/3/17 8:36 am
VSG on 08/14/14

People lose weight for so many reasons. In my long life, I certainly have. I've lost weight for:

* a spouse's approval (that particular spouse is long gone!)

* a special event

* to make a good first impression

* to look "better" (for myself)

But in my case, nothing has been as motivating or stabilizing as the reason I had WLS: to regain my health after almost destroying it after a lifetime of yo-yo dieting.

Most of us think the greatest benefit of WLS is to lose weight. Eventually, if we're lucky, we figure out it's REALLY about changing our lifestyle so we can maintain our weight loss and rebuild our health.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1516 views