Red's Frozen Burritos nutritional value without tortilla

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/8/17 8:29 am, edited 3/8/17 8:30 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

So, I do some extreme couponing and got about 16 Red's (website: here) frozen burritos from my grocer for free a month or so ago, and theyve just been sitting in my freezer. Every so often I like (or try) to eat our way through the freezer to use stuff up, same with cabinets.

The issue, for me/us, obviously is the tortilla for the most part. Their burritos have SOME rice in some of the varieties mixed into filling, but majority of the carbs are the shell

Anyway, long story short, I emailed Red's asking them if they could share the nutritional info of JUST the tortilla wrap and explained why, and they did! The burritos in total are 5oz, I didnt weigh the filling only, but I assume it'd be more like ~2oz.

The nutritional info of JUST the tortilla is:

Calories: 190
Calories from Fat: 35
Fat: 4g
Trans Fat: 0
Saturated Fat: 0
Cholesterol: 0
Sodium: 180mg
Carbohydrates: 33g
Fiber: 1g
Sugar: 1g
Protein: 6g

The below label is for their chicken and cheese burrito.

So, it would SEEM that for just the tortilla filling you're looking at 100 calories and 6 carbs, with 11g protein. Not fantastic macros, but also not necessarily terrible, I dont think at least. Makes for an easy grab, heat and eat meal thats not too awful.

Just thought I'd share :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/17 9:07 am
Deanna798
on 3/8/17 9:35 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I just have to ask why you would say that those macros aren't great? 6 grams of carbs isn't bad, I have more than that in my Light and Fit Greek yogurt and it's better than a 10:1 ratio of protein to calories. I'd say that it's perfect, as long as it's filling.

I'd feel comfortable eating two burritos without the tortilla for a meal. I've never heard of Red's, but it was nice of them to provide you with the info.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/8/17 10:26 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

The "arent that great" comment was a CYA. This forum has taught me much about making statements that I believe are true, not being true for everyone, so to not make them... So was to avoid any people from commenting about "OMG! NO CARBS! CARBS ARE SO BAD AHHHHHH" and what not :P

But I'm with you. I dont really concern myself with that many carbs. There are very carb-careful people here though.

Donna L.
on 3/8/17 6:09 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

As one of the self-named carb-careful people, everyone is entitled to eat what they want. We get overweight eating tortilla wrappers and not chicken, though. ;) Myself, I'd scarf that crap down, wrapper and all. Hey, if it works for other folks, that is great, though. I don't really care what other people eat as long as it works for them and it isn't denial, and that they don't shove it down my throat.

I understand a need for quick food. I work 80 hours a week on average, however I manage to cook 80% of the time. The other 20% I make good choices. I, too, mess up, of course, from time to time.

If you are interested in "fast food" at home Sandwich Brothers makes a bunch of teeny bariatric-sized sandwiches that are microwavable which are moderate carbs and good. I think they average 150 cals each. Definitely check them out.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Deanna798
on 3/8/17 9:37 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I just found out that they sell them at the Kroger around the corner from my house. I may check them out.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

Heather P.
on 3/8/17 9:52 am

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing, I have some of the breakfast ones in my freezer right now

Ht 5'7" HW 406, SW 361

RNY 3/28/16

(deactivated member)
on 3/8/17 1:03 pm

The only problem for me. I am talking myself. Is I am not sure if I would just eat the insides.

Sometimes I can't trust myself.

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 3/8/17 1:39 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

i hear ya! im the same way, its a battle. a battle of "i dont want to waste this" or "damn ,i just want to eat this"...

on mine i ate the insides (its not that much to be honest, maybe like a BIC lighter) and then went to throw the shell away and took a nibble of where the stuffing WAS. wasnt even that good, which made it easier to toss.

yesterday i was having dinner with a friend and his mom before seeing a movie for taco tuesday, had soft tacos (gave him my 2nd one) and ate my meat. then ended up eating most my soft shell while we were talking :\ should have thrown everything out immediately butttttt i was too chatty.

califsleevin
on 3/8/17 9:07 pm, edited 3/9/17 9:36 am - CA

The filling fits the general rule of thumb that many of us use, to have protein oriented foods have at least 10g protein per 100 calories, so that's an OK tradeoff. Likewise, I never agonized over carb counts (couldn't afford the side effects of those diets) but I would likewise dump the tortilla as not worth the calories - it's 2/3 the calories of the whole burrito and not a lot of nutrition in exchange.

I'm a bit surprised that the tortilla is that expensive calorically, as those numbers are consistent with a fairly large tortilla that can hold a whole lot more than 2 oz or so of filling. Maybe not that surprised though, given how junky a lot of things can be when run through the processed food mill! Shows how much filler one needs to go through to get a bit of nutrition out of things in a wrapper.

In contrast, the rare times that I might have fast food I would make it Chipotle soft tacos if possible. While losing I left the tortilla behind, though now I include it as it's only 70 calories per taco vs. 200ish for the filling (meat, veg, rice, beans, cheese, salsa) so well within my caloric budget and does have some useful nutrition when combined with the other vegetable proteins in the mix.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active