Coffee?

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/16/17 12:05 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Do you enjoy coffee more than you did before WLS?

I've been a coffee drinker since in my early 20's when we had "coffee breaks" at work. I never drank more than a couple of cups a day and though I liked it, I felt that I was mostly drinking it for the caffeine.

Now I LOVE it! I CRAVE it! Strange?

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Daisydoo02
on 3/16/17 12:44 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

I liked coffee pre surgery now I LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee post surgery and I crave it too. Oddly pre surgery caffeine affected me a lot, I had to stop drinking it at noon if I wanted to fall asleep at 10pm at night, now I can drink a coffee right before bed or even have one at bedside as a warm drink to warm me and and fall asleep right away, no caffeine side affects. I think I drink 8-10 cups a day now, pre surgery it was 2-3.

I love saying to people "lets grab a coffee" because I get to drink more LOL

ENJOY!

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/16/17 2:20 pm

Coffee is the only vice left to me, and someone would have to pry it out of my cold, dead, lifeless hands.

I've always loved coffee and I love it more now.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

jenorama
on 3/16/17 2:41 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

You might be having some transfer addiction to the caffeine. I went through the same thing, but I found that the increased caffeine was giving me gastritis which can lead to an ulcer. I suspect I've always been sensitive to caffeine since my symptoms were familiar to me, but I actually got checked out due to my increased vigilance with stomach issues post RNY.

Some folks drink a lot of coffee and it doesn't bother them, but I caution you to pay attention to how you feel. It took me a while to put two and two together. :D Now I limit myself to two caffeine drinks a day and do decaf in the evenings and I haven't had any recurrence of the stomach pain in almost two years.

Jen

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 3/17/17 4:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Interesting! I'll have to ponder that. I have intentionally been restricting myself to no more than 3 cups and not past noon because I'm a little afraid of the caffeine.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

jenorama
on 3/17/17 2:11 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

That's a good idea. Sometimes I'll have three in a day, but then I feel like I'm skating close to the danger zone. What threw me off was I wouldn't feel badly until several hours after and it felt like when you have really bad gas pains high up, you know? So I thought it was just gas and I'd go to bed and usually be absolutely fine the next morning. No soreness or nothing.

One day, it started happening during the daytime while I was at work and it just wasn't getting better, so I went to the Urgent Care. They gave me what they call a "gastric ****tail" which I understood was mylanta with some lidocaine. Well, it numbed my mouth and throat, but did nothing for the pain. When I thought about it later, it made sense because the issue was in my remnant stomach which the lidocaine would have never reached because it's sealed off. I definitely didn't want to get an ulcer in my remnant stomach!

So pay attention to how you feel. :D

Jen

Rachel B.
on 3/16/17 2:50 pm - Tucson, AZ
VSG on 08/11/08 with

YES PLEASE!!! All my life. No more now than before, but I have stove top Italian Espresso Mocha percolators now that I use. I have only one a day (six shots in the morning), and that usually lasts me until about noon. Some days, I will have two!!! At one time I would have three to four.

"...This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away, to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. What he was doing..."

Rachel, PMHNP-BC

HW-271 SW-260 LW(2009)-144 ~ Retread: HW-241 CW-190 GW-150

Laura in Texas
on 3/16/17 3:11 pm

I love it more now, too. I think it's because if I am drinking coffee, it keeps me from eating (and I really love eating but I love staying at my goal weight more).

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

(deactivated member)
on 3/16/17 3:56 pm - Canada

Yep, before surgery maybe 2 or 3 now.... well just finished my dinner so I will be drinking 8th mug soon :)), mostly I drink decaff now with a little bit of SR syrup and splash of milk(not always) I grind beans myself love the smell and into french press or coffee maker.

Next on my list is to try cold brew, looking for the maker any suggestions welcome :))

VSGAnn2014
on 3/16/17 4:01 pm, edited 3/16/17 9:01 am
VSG on 08/14/14

Hey, Liz. :)

Yes, since WLS I love my coffee even more than pre-op. Pre-op I typically drank no more than 2 cups a day. Post-op, 2 cups/day is my absolute limit.

I do have a minor concern about coffee, which is the widely advertised connection between coffee and ulcers. And for some patients coffee exacerbates GERD/acid reflux.

As someone who's been in maintenance for nearly 2 years, I have built treats into my daily menus, which I enjoy very much -- 3-5 ounces of wine, 4 squares of dark chocolate, and the biscotti hubby and I enjoy with our afternoon cup of coffee.

Of all these daily treats, the one I would prefer to give up LAST is my morning coffee, which is a home-made skinny latte with frothed skim milk and a single envelope of Turbinado raw sugar.

So far, no problems -- just pleasure. :)

Caveat: I can speak only from the perspective of having been sleeved.

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1480 views