digestive probiotics does anyone take them?

sunshinespring
on 3/19/17 10:30 am - Bay Area, CA

I took a round of 90 billion months ago but only once, now my doctor has given me a bunch of antibiotics and I am thinking of taking some probiotics on a regular basis, not sure if they would help

if you take them which one's are best?

NYC-Hot-Stuff
on 3/19/17 11:30 am

I see a gastroenterologist for various reasons from time to time. Last visit, I asked if he thinks probiotics are worth taking in general (I'm not taking antibiotics). "Yes," he said. I have no idea if there's a "best," but he named three products:

VSL #2 (must be refrigerated; take 2 daily)

Align (1 daily)

Florastor (Florestor?) (2 daily)

Don't know if he thinks any one is better than the others.

Why not ask your own doctor?

sunshinespring
on 3/19/17 12:09 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you, he suggested natures made but he's not a GI doctor so I taught I'd ask here

Thanks for the suggestions I will look them up

jenorama
on 3/19/17 4:37 pm - CA
RNY on 10/07/13

My husband and I both take one. I use the Tru Nature from Costco and it seems to work pretty well. Sometimes when I travel, I skip it and I can really tell the difference.

Jen

ChristineB
on 3/19/17 6:55 pm - Western 'Burbs Chgo, IL
On March 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM Pacific Time, sunshinespring wrote:

I took a round of 90 billion months ago but only once, now my doctor has given me a bunch of antibiotics and I am thinking of taking some probiotics on a regular basis, not sure if they would help

if you take them which one's are best?

Nope, as I have IBS-D, Diverticulosis and Microscopic Colitis. I only take Lomotil for my "runs". I have a triple whammy and probiotics will not help me. I have tried adding probiotics and they do not help me.

Open RNY May 7
260/155/140 

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/19/17 7:25 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I took one for the first year after my surgery. I had read an article that said they appeared to increase weight loss. After the first year, since I make my own yogurt, I used a friend's extraordinarily expensive probiotic to make my own starter and add it to my yogurt -- thus making my own. I use one pill a month -- to make sure the start remains good without too much of only one bacteria. I have no idea if it makes any difference or not -- but I figure it isn't hurting anything. :-)

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

AggieMae
on 3/20/17 1:54 am
VSG on 10/25/16

I take them every second say. I but a brand that needs to be refrigerated at Whole Foods.

NYMom222
on 3/20/17 4:09 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

I do take them. If you are taking them because you've been on antibiotics my Doc said just don't take them at the same time...

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

sunshinespring
on 3/20/17 4:14 pm - Bay Area, CA

Thank you, good to know my doctor didn't mention anything about separating them, Good to know, thanks a lot

mi75
on 3/21/17 9:22 am
VSG on 06/01/14

Something that many people don't realize is that there is actually some science to the type of gut flora you have and your weight control!

I didn't really buy into it, but I'm a Nurse Practitioner student and actually had to attend a seminar about gut flora. Turns out, that the more good gut bacteria you have, the better control you have over your weight.

I also follow Lauren (aka: chemistry queen), a PhD candidate in organic chemistry, on YouTube who has a recent video upload talking about this very thing!

So yes, NOW I take some probiotic every day. just started within the last couple weeks, so I don't know yet if it's made a difference. However, my eating has been terrible for a LONG time and i'm just starting to get that back under control too...

Most Active