RNY after RNY reversal? Anyone have this done?

CPearl
on 3/24/17 2:56 pm - MD

I had RNY 12 years ago and loved it. Lost all my weight, got to goal within a year and was living life. All that ended when I had a bowel obstruction that no one could find or figure out. By the time I found a hospital that DID find it, I had to have my RNY reversed. After surgery, I was told that I didn't lose any intestine and that my roux limb was still in there but stapled off. That was 3 years ago. Haven't had a single problem since, except that I've gained nearly every pound back. Seems like I just can't beat it. 700-900 calories in a day with cross fit and exercise classes kept the regain at bay temporarily. But once my stomach "woke up" and started growling and craving excessively.... I lost that battle. And I had the benefit of knowing how to eat and how much. I just want to go back to my RNY. It worked for me. I was happy. I've read a million things on revisions but I can't find anyone out there that has gone in for an RNY after reversal. Hoping I can find someone or a few on here!

Gwen M.
on 3/24/17 3:20 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You might consider posting this to the revision forum?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/24/17 5:39 pm
I've seen this happen (well in part).

In order to have a revision from the RNY to the DS- a doctor has to reverse the RNY-and then perform the DS. It is a very complicated surgery becasue reversing the RNY is difficult.

You should look up RNY to DS revisions to see more info on this. There are only a few surgeons in the country that can do it.

Scott
CPearl
on 6/17/17 9:55 pm - MD

Well, the doc ordered an upper GI to check out the structure of my stomach - to see if there were any issues resulting from having the RNY taken down and he says it looks just like any normal stomach. So I've had my psych eval, did the dietician consult for pre/post op nutrition and set up all my follow ups with her, and got my referral for medical necessity from my Primary (which also documents my medically assisted weight loss with nutritional counseling). Just waiting to hear something back from the surgeons office now on insurance approval for VSG. Praying for some good news this week!

NickM1267
on 9/23/17 9:41 am
RNY on 07/31/17

I was just wondering if you have had your vsg procedure yet?

CPearl
on 9/23/17 10:42 am - MD

Not yet but close! Scheduled for the 27th....just a few more days :)

NickM1267
on 9/23/17 1:27 pm
RNY on 07/31/17

Oh ok. Did you have any complications after your reversal?

CPearl
on 9/23/17 4:18 pm - MD

No complications at all. The only issue I had was when I came out of surgery and to my room, the I.V. with the pain meds wasn't hooked up to my I.V. line. The line with the pain meds was run through the bed rails and tucked under the bed, so every time I pushed the button the pain meds went into the floor. That was horrendous! I screamed and passed out for hours, so much that it felt like I was having a heart attack and could not get air in. My husband finally started tracing the line and found it. NEVER want to go through that again!!

I quickly healed and it was as if I never had the RNY, with the exception that my metabolism was stuck at RNY calories. If I stayed between 700-900 calories a day, I could maintain my weight. Problem with that was my stomach was growling and painful as if I never had the RNY. Plus, with my RNY, I did not dare eat anything with more than 9 grams of sugar in it because of dumping. All that went away, so if I ate something with more than that in it, there were no consequences other than craving more and gaining. I did great for about 2 years but I also had to work out a LOT (cross-fit, 15,000 steps a day, Zumba, Body Jam) just to break even. Then my husband was diagnosed with stage 3 cancer at 43 years old....at the same time as my daughter went through a severe illness requiring me to take her very young children....at the same time as my father in law went through c-diff and was in and out of critical condition. I had to give up all the after work workouts in exchange for early morning chemo and radiation, daycare, school busses, and a zillion doctor appointments. Took almost 2 years to get all those situations behind us. So, here I am.

NickM1267
on 9/23/17 5:05 pm
RNY on 07/31/17

Wow. That is a lot of things going on. So the reversal will mess up your metabolism?

CPearl
on 9/23/17 10:06 pm - MD

I had my RNY for 8.5 years, maintaining a weight of 125-135 (sizes 2-4). That quite a while eating 700-900 calories a day. The last 12-18 months were actually much fewer calories. By the time I had my reversal, I was lucky to get in 500ish calories a day. I had a partial bowel obstruction that worsened over that time until I was 99% blocked and was very sick. Because I could barely eat anything and ended up on laxatives to survive the last months until it was found, I also became very malnourished. The reversal didn't have anything to do with having a lower metabolism.... it was the years of living on fewer calories. All the way up to the obstruction ordeal, my body was happy with the 700-900 calorie range. I think that's why you see so many articles telling you not to eat so few calories that your body goes into starvation mode. Although all my nutrients and red blood cells are all restored - my metabolism is not.

Most Active