Any 20-30 year-olds?

xray-girl
on 3/24/17 4:19 pm

Hello all!

I am new to this site and I was wondering if there are any other "younger" people here too.

I'm a 20 year-old student and I've just started thinking about weight loss surgery as every attempt at weight loss that I've tried has failed and I am getting very discouraged...

* Nicole *
on 3/25/17 12:05 pm

Well I just turned 34 but I had surgery at 22.5 years old so nearing 12 years ago. I regret nothing. Best thing I ever did.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Beam me up Scottie
on 3/25/17 7:44 pm
Surgery should be your last resort. (Really...i do mean that...WLS is serious).

If you are going to have a surgery that has malabsorbtion- DS or RNY, make sure that you are financially stable. The monthly vitamin/protein cost can be pretty high. I spend about 80 on vits (probably a bit less) ...and at least another 50 or 60 dollars on protein bars (I get all my protein from food now...I just like the way Atkins bars taste, but the first year, I really needed them (or shakes) to get in enough protein).

Finally you need to be mature. A 20 year old can be very mature.....or not. But WLS is a LIFETIME commitment. Any surgery will require a lifetime of bloodwork, suppliments, and commitment ot eating a certain way.

With all that said, I am glad I had WLS. I wish I had it earlier-if I was in my 20s I would have had the VSG. I do not think it would have been enough to help me keep the weight off forever, but it would have been a start.

Scott
* Nicole *
on 3/26/17 4:04 am

I do agree that one needs stability in life. I would advise against it if quality food and vites would be financially tough.

But I guess what certain people consider something a last resort. I sadly agree that many obese younger folk really could rein things in by food choices. I really had no choice as I was not going to allow my health to go to diabetes etc etc. My weight was enough, I refused to allow anything more.

But the biggest thing I find, many younger folks do it for vanity not for health. Or dont take the changes one needs to make seriously.

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

BunnyCakes
on 3/25/17 9:56 pm

I am 33 and plan on having gastric sleeve surgery this summer. I definitely understand your wish to find younger people in the group as I often feel like the youngest when I go to support groups and classes requires by my program. There aren't a lot of us but we are here. Or maybe there are a lot of us but we keep quiet for various reasons.

I think we also get met with a lot more criticism when we do show up, even of e are only looking for information. Because we are young people assume we haven't tried other options for losing weight before exploring the possibility of surgery.

I wish I had thought of surgery as an option when I was in my 20's, it would have likely saved me a lot of trouble and physical pain. I may never have gotten diabetes and I may never have had to take a year off work because of my back problems. I may never have gotten depressed because of the pain and because of losing my job to the back injury.

Oxford Comma Hag
on 3/26/17 8:06 am

A lot of us here are in the 'older' crowd because we did not have insurance to pay for WLS, could not afford to self pay, or had not reached a point where WLS was a viable choice when in our 20s.

I think WLS has gained in popularity the last 10-12 years, too. Before that, it was not as common.

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

BunnyCakes
on 3/26/17 5:48 pm

The lack of insurance is definitely a huge factor for a lot of us young and old. I only just now have insurance that will cover my surgery and I hope I can maintain it long enough to get the surgery.

I also agree that WLS is more common now than it used to be, I think it has a lot to do with doctors and insurance companies realizing how many diseases and disorders it can help to treat and how much money that it can save on health care costs for insurance companies.

Most Active