Magnesium-liquid form-sleep and constipation

Sabrina J.
on 3/26/17 10:31 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

2 weeks until my VSG surgery! I have been reading a lot here about constipation (which I would like to avoid)!! I have my pre-op tomorrow but thought I would ask you guys. I currently take 4 capsules of magnesium each day, 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. They are great to keep me regular and to help me sleep. Did anyone do liquid because we can't take pills for a while?

missc_26
on 3/27/17 12:56 am
VSG on 10/03/16

I used to take zinc & magnesium capsules before my vsg. Now they don't react well with my new stomach & I get the very opposite of constipation shortly after taking them.

I found powder magnesium that you can mix with water is a good way to get it in but I still have to be careful. I would recommend a greens drink like vital greens or similar after the first month to help keep your energy up and get a mineral boost.

Good luck!

Sabrina J.
on 3/27/17 2:32 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

I did not think about it upsetting my stomach - good idea on the greens! Thank you!

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/17 5:25 am
RNY on 11/22/16

I drink a powdered magnesium based drink called calm in the evenings. They have a lemon flavored and a raspberry/lemon flavor. I love it it. I drink it warm.

Sabrina J.
on 3/27/17 2:36 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

I have seen those at sprouts - I do like the idea of powder -Thank you also for the flavor ideas!

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/17 5:53 am
Sabrina J.
on 3/27/17 2:40 pm
VSG on 04/10/17

Thank you, I did not think about chews, plus it would probably be nice to chew on something.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/27/17 3:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Many people have no trouble taking pills right off the bat, provided they're small (or split into pieces) and swallowed with tiny sips of water. I couldn't get my psych meds in liquid or chewable form, so I just swallowed them whole, one at a time, the day after surgery.

Check with your surgeon, you may not need to change pills.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active