New to the process and several questions

Waterfall118
on 4/3/17 8:48 am, edited 4/4/17 4:34 pm

Hi,

My name is Sherri and I'm married almost 20 years with a really supportive husband. I have two kids. Em who is 10 and Josh who will turn 12 in July and he is on the autism spectrum. My life is hectic and crazy at times and I juggle a lot of family life with little energy because of my weight. I am 5'4, 312lbs and 54 BMI.

Anyways, I have my initial consultation on April 19th. I live in Raleigh NC. I was reviewing all of the information and reading all the posts. It seems like everyone here is very encouraging and helpful and congrats to all on your journey.

I'm not sure if Sleeve or Gastric will be the right answer for me. It seems both have their pros and cons and it's going to come down to meeting with the doctor and making the best health decision for me.

Here are a couple of questions and I'm sure I'll have more as I begin this process.

1. I was reviewing the food plans preop and post op and I'm just feeling like how am I ever going to be able to do that. How am I going to handle such a drastic approach to food intake. This is a drastic change to my lifestyle and I'm scared. Is this normal? How did you survive the changes before and after surgery?

2. I take several pills every morning for depression. I've been maintaining my depression for 8 years successfully and the meds work. Will I still be able to take my medication after I have surgery and during Preop phase? Will I be able to swallow those necessary pills?

Sherri

Knitter215
on 4/3/17 9:13 am
VSG on 08/23/16

Hi, Sherri!

I'm 55. I'll be married 20 years in January. I have two daughters - one a senior in HS, one in 8th grade. My life is a bit crazy, too - that's life with kids. I'm seven months post VSG. Here's a bit of my story.

My high weight was this time last year - April 2016 I weighed 271.5 - that was more than I had ever weighed. I'm 5'3". My surgery weight was 246.9 and today, I'm 188. I do almost all of the cooking for my family (my husband grills, but I do all the prep and make all the sides when we grill.) I do the grocery shopping. I work and I take medication for bad arthritis in my knees.

What you're pre-op diet is like will depend on your team. I was placed on a high protein, low carb diet for three months prior to surgery. Two weeks prior to surgery I was put on a 1000 cal. diet very low fat - basically two protein shakes, one meal of protein and salad and lots of water. It was tough, but ok.

My family was part of my whole process. Post op - I still cooked for them, i just didn't eat it during the first few weeks. I was on full liquids for three weeks - so soups, yogurt, shakes. Then I was moved to purees (scrambled eggs and anything I could run through a blender). So if I made chicken - I just pureed mine and gave the family theirs.

By the time I was on "real" foods - about six weeks out, I just ate really small portions of what I made them. Everyone is eating a bit healthier as a result. It's very do-able.

As for your medication, that's something you'll need to speak with your team about. I had no trouble swallowing my necessary pills after surgery. I don't know why you couldn't take your meds pre-op. I took all my meds even on day of surgery - with just a small sip of water.

Best of luck with your journey.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Waterfall118
on 4/3/17 9:37 am

I think the concern with the meds was reading about how difficult and painful it was to swallow during the first few weeks Post-op. Thanks for your other info. I appreciate hearing how others are doing. This is a scary decision.

Knitter215
on 4/3/17 9:43 am
VSG on 08/23/16

I didn't have trouble swallowing, but to each his/her own. It is scary, but from my perspective, the only regret I have is that I didn't do this sooner. I feel so much better. My knees don't hurt nearly as much, I'm able to do more around the house and out of the house because I can move.

The first six weeks are scary and tough and there are times you wonder if you're ever going to eat "real" food again. But then you get past it. It's like the first 6-8 weeks with a baby - you wonder if you are ever going to get through it and then you look back a year later and laugh.

The biggest issue I had right after surgery was finding a temperature at which my tummy liked to drink things. I had a Goldilocks tummy - not too hot -- not too cold, but just right. Now, I can drink cold or hot no issue but that was frustrating. Also, keep in mind that in those first weeks, just like having had a baby, your hormones and emotions are all over the place.

Does the hospital you are having your surgery at have a support group? If they do, i recommend you go to the meetings - hearing from veterans is really helpful.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

catwoman7
on 4/3/17 10:12 am
RNY on 06/03/15

once you've had surgery, you'll look at a typical restaurant meal and wonder how in the heck anyone could eat that much! I still think that even at almost two years out.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Insert Fitness
on 4/4/17 2:53 am

So much this!!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

pammieanne
on 4/3/17 11:33 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I think the hardest part (after recovery and going through the food stages) is getting your brain set to be in the game...

Join us on the Menu post on the RNY board... you can see what people are eating just a week or so out, all the way to several Vets who are years out that still post here. You'll have to get the brain in the game though, and yes, there are days we all wallow over not being able to eat something... but honestly, it's worth every skipped bite...

I know there are Vets here that have dealt with depression/ taking their drugs/ etc, so I'm sure it's very doable.

Hang in there! And Good luck!

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Tri_harder
on 4/3/17 8:36 pm

I went to a new surgeon and it was a disaster....

Find out how many of each type of surgery he has done.

Go to the support group meetings before surgery and listen to what his patients are saying.

Ask him specifically what the plan is. How big is the pouch? How long is the bypass? What is the size of the stoma? How big is the vertical sleeve?

After surgery I went to the support group and most people were having problems. If I had gone before surgery, I never in a million years would have let him touch me.

Years later I went to a different surgeon's support group and most people were pleased and healthy.

Choose your surgeon carefully. Tri

Insert Fitness
on 4/4/17 3:09 am

Congratulations on moving towards surgery! I know it's not the right choice for everyone, but I've said it before: I'd have this surgery every month if it meant I'd feel this good for life. I cannot begin to explain how much more energy I have, and how that impacts all areas of my life!

with regards to the lifestyle changes. Yup, they are big. But I honestly don't even realize it anymore. (The exception is sometimes alcohol, but it's in passing)

my advice is start practicing post op habits way before surgery. Things like, eliminate alcohol, simple carbs, deep fried food etc. not all at once, just pick one and focus on that for a couple of weeks, then something else. I wouldn't worry about portions and protein targets yet, just behaviours. If you binge, the surgery won't fix it. If you graze, surgery won't fix it.

if you have access to a therapist or behaviorist, take advantage of it. I found it so helpful!

also, make a list of the reasons you want this. Read it every day.

As for meds, that's a discussion to be had with your prescribing dr and surgeon. my surgeon was concerned about how my add medication would be affected by surgery, because there are no studies to go by. But i was fine so far. There are plenty of people here who have well managed depression post op, so I'm confident your team can come up with a plan!

RNY Sept 8, 2016

M1:23, M2 :18, M3 :11, M4 :19, M5: 13, M6: 12, M7: 17, M8: 11, M9: 11.5, M10: 13, M11: 10, M12: 10 M13 : 7.6, M14: 6.9, M15: 6.7

Instagram:InsertFitness

Waterfall118
on 4/4/17 3:20 am

Thank you for such wonderful advice. Those are excellent questions. I'm keeping notes for my initial consult. The nice thing is I've had two friends use the same practice and only have amazing things to say. Once I do my initial consult in a couple of weeks I plan on starting the support groups they offer.

I'm glad I posted because my fears are easing up. My husband is super supportive. He has about 40 lbs to lose so he rejoined a gym last night and got back to his first love which is spinning/cycling. Of course he's that guy who sneezes and loses a lb ;). But he's ready as am I to make some serious lifestyle changes. It just comes easier for him because he loves all different types of healthy foods and fresh veggies and spices, etc. And my tastes definitely fall in line with the more carbs the better...ooohh chocolate ;). He doesn't have my sweet tooth or my control issues with moderation either.

I was telling my husband that the one thing I am consistently seeing on the boards is the biggest regret is not doing the surgery sooner.

Matt is coming with me to my initial consultation? Is it normal to bring your spouse/loved one/friend with you?

Sherri

Most Active