"You shouldn't lose any more weight" and other great things NOT to say.

Roach
on 4/13/17 9:27 pm, edited 4/13/17 10:19 pm - OH
VSG on 05/25/16

Hit the goal weight of 175lbs a couple of weeks back. Been bouncing back and forth between 174 and 175, since then. If I loose a couple more for wiggle room that would be great but I'm happy where I am at.

I retired (heart probs), about 9 years ago. Since then I have picked up a few jobs from time to time to try and keep busy, limited quite a bit. Went back to college for a networking degree, apprenticed to learn to tattoo (helped open a new shop), run subpoenas for a local attorney, Starbucks, and helped bartending at the Moose for a couple years.

Though I am still a member, I haven't been up to the Moose very often since surgery (about 10 months). Went out last week to see a friends band that was playing. A few people knew I had the sleeve done but not all. It cracked me up how many people just looked at me, sort of lost, when I came up and said hello. They clearly had no clue who I was until I told them my name ect..

I got a lot of compliments, which is always nice. Also heard the "you're getting too skinny" line more than a few times. I still find it hard to fathom hearing someone describe me as too skinny. Technically I am still a couple pounds above norm per the BMI charts (that's another rant though). I take it as a compliment though.

The question no one wants to hear when they have been working hard on losing weight is, "are you sick", "are you feeling better", or asking about the dreaded "C" word. The one new bit of advice I was given was that I should put back on a few pounds, "just in case I get really sick and start losing weight". Hmm, will need to remember that one.

I know people mean well but sometimes I really don't think their minds process what their mouths are saying. As for the people that think I am too skinny (which I am not by any means), I try and explain that I am at a healthy weight. They were just used to seeing me as always being big. Hopefully they will get used to seeing me at a healthy weight for a change.

Cathy H.
on 4/13/17 10:44 pm, edited 4/13/17 3:44 pm
VSG on 10/31/16

Congratulations on making goal! That is completely awesome!

As for the rest...people nowadays just seem to have no class and no filters. They say whatever pops into their silly heads. All you can do is ignore them, and be secure in the knowledge that you are doing what is best for you, and you are healthy and happy.

Related image

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Ladytazz
on 4/14/17 12:30 am

Many of us hear that we look too thin, even when we are still technically overweight. It seems at least with me I lose weight from the top down so my face looks gaunt and haggard and my ass is as big as ever.

Just smile and nod and whatever you do don't fall into that thinking that it is ok to go crazy now to put on a few pounds. Many have tried and found that to be a slippery slope. Too thin at 2 years can be major regain at year 3.

I was determined to reach a healthy weight without eating badly. I avoid refined carbs and increased my protein intake. I have put on about 10 or 15 lbs from my lowest but my lowest was way too low.

There is a thing known as fat redistribution that happens naturally over time. Weight stays the same but things move around. I increased a size without gaining weight because of the way they shifted. People would tell me how good I looked now that I had put on weight and I hadn't gained anything.

It takes a while for the body to adjust to major weight loss. It takes even longer for the mind to catch up. Just keep doing what you are doing and it will all work out.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

Cosmos2112
on 4/14/17 4:12 am

Same thing is happening to me at work. Many people say I look great, thank you but you want to lose more weight??? I'm thirty pounds away from my goal and am determined to reach my goal and then go on a maintenance plan which I know I will need help to plan.

My legs are now thin but my tummy is still big. My face is much thinner. It's my life!

RNY 12/22/2016. HW 228. SW 224. CW 122

Dr. Aviv Ben-Meir. Lake West Medical Center, Willoughby OH

Gwen M.
on 4/14/17 5:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I pretty much just assume everyone who tells me I'm "teeny" or "skinny" is delusional. Thankfully I have yet to get the "are you sick" questions but this might be because everyone in my life knows I had WLS and have been working hard to lose weight!

Well... that combined with the fact that I am still overweight :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Djmohr
on 4/14/17 1:03 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I think sometimes people are shocked at how different we look and they simply don't know what to say so they say the first thing that pops into their head. Many times there is no filter. When I was at my lowest weight, I actually got the "C" question by several of my old co-workers. I have also been told by so many to stop losing weight when I was in that phase. The reality is most people do not know what a healthy weight even looks like anymore. It is amazing that such a large percentage of our population is overweight or obese.

I just think about how different I even look to myself so imagine their shock. Of course that doesn't change the ridiculous things that come out of their mouths. I try to remember their filters are not on and they don't know what to say or how to even ask about it.

Kathy S.
on 4/14/17 1:34 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Don't listen to them...if you start listening the next thing you will be doing is gaining. Trust me!

Image result for not listening gif

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

ahuesatti
on 4/15/17 12:03 pm
VSG on 02/27/17

(Roach, not directed at you, I'm just soapboxing! haha)

Something that irritates me ALOT is the overall fact that people in general feel that they can ask questions or offer opinions/advice on personal things....

... and that we (in general) often feel obligated to respond in someway to their questions or comments!

Just because someone asks a question, you don't owe them an answer; just because someone offers an opinion or advice, you don't have to reply. It's a waste of energy. They can't hear you.

People DO. NOT. THINK. before they speak, as Roach said. God help us all!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/15/17 4:06 pm - Burleson, TX

For me, a lot of it depends on WHO is doing the talking. If it is an elderly relative, who is sincerely believing the Grim Reaper is reaching for me, I will explain the weight loss is on purpose, and that all is fine. If it's coming from jealous *****es, I just flounce across the room, a few hundred more times :)...and wink at their husbands...

I am so far out now, you would think people would be used to seeing me, but I was MO a lot longer than I have been at a healthy weight, and people forget, I guess...and live under a rock...and don't have Facebook, for pictures...

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

CalicoKitsch
on 4/26/17 9:16 am
RNY on 07/10/17

I'm just beginning this journey, with RNY scheduled for July. I'm already being warned not to lose too much weight or asked why I am opting for surgery when I just need to drop "a few" pounds. Really? It took 2 yrs to lose 30# & I have about 150 to lose, with BMI of 48. And that's why I'm opting for surgery. And do they really think we didn't research it? Ugh. We just can't win - take crap for being overweight, take crap for working on losing it, then crap when it's lost. I've actually lessoned my contact with a couple people because I discovered they just want me around to be the fat friend that makes themm look better.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1546 views