Introduction of a new member

BigViffer
on 4/17/17 8:50 am
VSG on 02/15/15

Greetings all,

New member the site, but I am not a new patient. I had my sleeve surgery back in February 2015 and was a member of another forum for the past two years. The inmates have pretty much taken over the asylum and I just don't belong there anymore. So I am dipping my toe in the waters here to see if it is a better fit.

A little about me: I am not a big talker, but I don't mind sharing personal experience and what knowledge I have gleaned over the past two years. I like to think I know more than many, but I am not so arrogant to believe I know more than all.

I am in to motorcycle touring and strength training. My before surgery weight of 330 made those hobbies either difficult or impossible. I made it down to 198 before I started seriously focusing on weight training and I have been holding at 220-ish for several months. I feel better than I have in decades and dare say I look better than I did in my teens! I'm thinking it is the distinguishing grey hair.

Anyways, I am looking forward to some conversation, giving and receiving reasonable advice, and just generally hoping to find like minded patients like myself.

"The strength of many to crush you might stop me."

Grim_Traveller
on 4/17/17 9:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Welcome!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

CC C.
on 4/17/17 9:21 am

Welcome!

A lot of former members of 'that site' are part of a group here: http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/Real_Talk/

Folks mostly post out here on the boards, but if you're looking for anyone in particular from over there, you would find them easily there.

BigViffer
on 4/17/17 11:02 am
VSG on 02/15/15

Yeah, I am familiar with the group that migrated here back during the dust-up. I'm sure that I will run into them all eventually here. I didn't have the emotional investment as many of them, but they are correct in pretty much all they have said about the site. I had hoped it would return to a sense of normalcy like many of the other forums I have been on, but it just shows no sign of sanity returning.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/17/17 11:45 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Actually, it's pretty unlikely that you'll run into many of them. They made quite a big show of their migration here, but very few have actually stuck around to post.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

BigViffer
on 4/17/17 12:02 pm
VSG on 02/15/15

That actually surprises me quite a bit. They were all pretty chatty. I assumed they would continue to be so. I am not so chatty, but I do chime in where I feel I know a thing or two.

I will say that the layout of the forum is completely different than any forum I am a member of currently. It will take some adjusting.

on 4/17/17 12:59 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

I think the problem lay in the migration. From my POV (long-time OH'er), the folks from the other site left quite a bad impression with many OH vets and regulars with their entrance. The BP drama was fussed over, though the OHers were neither involved nor interested, and some of the more prominent BP'ers seemed a bit put out when the crowd of strangers on OH didn't recognize them as being "special."

shelterdog64
on 4/17/17 1:11 pm
VSG on 06/21/16
On April 17, 2017 at 7:59 PM Pacific Time, Sparklekitty (Julie), Science-Loving Hag wrote:

I think the problem lay in the migration. From my POV (long-time OH'er), the folks from the other site left quite a bad impression with many OH vets and regulars with their entrance. The BP drama was fussed over, though the OHers were neither involved nor interested, and some of the more prominent BP'ers seemed a bit put out when the crowd of strangers on OH didn't recognize them as being "special."

Hmmm...I came in the initial wave and didn't see/hear/feel any of this. Nice to know, I guess, that some of you didn't like the way the new members arrived. I will say it's not been super busy or friendly over here in general, but I didn't realize old BP members were being treated differently.

on 4/17/17 1:14 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Most of the drama was limited to a handful of BPers, and went down in a single thread that was eventually yanked by the mods after a few hours.

I speak only for myself of this.

Lipsticklady
on 4/17/17 5:25 pm
VSG on 05/14/13

Well, actually, I guess I am pretty special if I am still being discussed. :D That said, I think EVERYONE here is special, sooo....

It's spring, I'm a realtor and our market is hot. I barely have time to poop often so my social media presence has been almost nill. You've not gotten rid of me that easily, though!

SMOOOOCH!

ISO ... New "clique" members. You must be kind, warm, welcoming, honest, intelligent, and have a sense of humor. The words "shamed" or "victim" can not be in your regular vocabulary. Sarcasm is welcome (and wanted!), but cruelty is not. You must not be a coddler or a shamer. All members are free to classify themselves as vets, newbies, grasshoppers or anything else they desire.

I enjoy long walks on the beach, puppies, sunsets and taking off my bra as I pull in the driveway. If you are like minded, you are in!

And remember, we are ALL worthy of love, humor, and dignity.

I started a new group here for my old BP friends and any new friends who have a sense of humor. Link to join:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/real_talk

Most Active