Quest Protein Chips - YUM!!!!!

cmp067
on 4/17/17 1:51 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

So, I was at Sprouts looking for some interesting protein shake alternatives, and found CHIPS! I thought "No way, the nutritional value on these must be bad...." BUT I was surprised and delighted to find 22 grams of protein and only 4 carbs! And they actually taste really good! There are several flavors like Cheddar and Sour Cream, Salt and Vinegar, Sour Cream and Onion and BBQ. Each flavor varies a bit with the nutritional info, so read the label. But, these are a nice alternative to a sweet protein shake! Anyone know if I am missing something here? Almost seems too good to be true. :)

Original VSG 3/23/2012 - Revision/Resleeve 1/6/2017

The Salty Hag
on 4/17/17 2:35 pm
RNY on 05/20/13

Maybe they've improved them because they used to taste like chalk and dust with a little seasoning mixed in. They were vile...lol. They also made my mouth SO DRY that it was super uncomfortable. I had exactly 1/4 of a bag before I tossed them and haven't tried them again.

They could be a slippery slope kind of food for some. I think a bag is one serving, which seemed like a lot of chips to me. I'd make two or three servings out of a bag, and pair it with something dense....and moist...haha. They aren't aimed at bariatric patients-so just keep that in mind.

My opinion side, Quest is a reputable company and a LOT of people here eat their protein bars and some use the protein powder as well. I haven't checked out a label in a while, but I don't think you're missing anything. For normies who want a high protein "cheaty" snack, they're probably a great choice. For bariatric folk-they're probably okayish for a sometime thing.

I woke up in between a memory and a dream...

Tom Petty

cmp067
on 4/17/17 3:45 pm, edited 4/17/17 8:53 am
VSG on 03/23/12

Haha! I just looked at the bag, and the upper left corner has a large box that says IMPROVED! So, maybe they have, indeed, improved them? Or maybe I am so desperate for a chip like experience they are not as gross as I think they are? LOL!

My nine year old daughter just devoured a bag of the Cheddar and Sour Cream ones, and she is so picky, she hates everything. If nothing else, it's a great way to get 22 grams of protein into my kids for a before dance or gymnastics snack!

I think I will enjoy them as a once in a while thing. I def don't see these as a daily staple, since they don't exactly fill you up. But, they filled me up almost as much as a protein shake would, I think....? They will be a nice once or twice a week treat for now. I'll probably get sick of them quickly like I seem to do with everything these days!

Wish I could figure out how to paste in a photo here, but not sure how to do it.....

bubbly1intoronto
on 4/17/17 5:51 pm
RNY on 01/06/17

I've recently tried the sea salt ones and loved them. Made a great Friday night snack!

Referral October 2015, TWH; Orientation Jan 6/16, NP - Apr 7/16: SW- May13/16, Nutrition class May 16/16, Nutrition assess - Jun 16/16, met with surgeon Oct 21/16 High weight - Dec 2016 - 298 lbs. Start of 3 week pre op diet Dec 16, 2016 - 288.2 lbs. Sx date: Jan 6/17 - 269.4 lbs. Initial goal weight 165 lbs.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/17/17 6:07 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Yeah, they did improve them. I had them years ago with the old formula & didn't care for them. They're much better now & is an alternative to regular chips, but it is a slider food to me so usually I have to have some meat with it or I can go overboard on them. BBQ & the sour cream & onion are my favorites.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

cmp067
on 4/17/17 6:15 pm, edited 4/17/17 2:00 pm
VSG on 03/23/12

OK question - isn't a protein drink a slider food too then? I am only asking b/c I am trying to figure this all out. I have been doing protein shakes (still) for breakfast, but not sure they are filling me up for long....

karenp8
on 4/18/17 7:32 am - Brighton, IL

Yes protein shakes tend to not keep you full for long. You'd probably do better with something more dense like eggs or meat of some kind.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 4/18/17 10:02 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Ditto Karen reply, it's more of a slider food, but I really don't think of liquids when I think of foods. I know liquids won't fill me up in any way. Some protein shakes though, if thick, might stay with me a little longer, but not as long as regular food.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

CerealKiller Kat71
on 4/20/17 5:11 am
RNY on 12/31/13

YES! Smart observation.

... and that's why a lot of vets discourage using them for "resetting your pouch/getting back on track (after regain)" and other such crap. They are definitely a slider food and will not keep you full like dense protein.

That said, a lot of WLS patients do well having one for breakfast as we are the least hungry then and can easily go to lunch or next planned meal after one -- and if that is you, there is no reason to feel badly about using one.

However, in general, dense protein is your best bet long term.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

FindingKurr
on 4/17/17 8:55 pm

I love these chips. All flavors. I usually put a little chicken, fish or hamburger on top of them and bake them for a few minutes. Might even sprinkle cheese. Yummy!!!

Height: 5'7" Age:37 HW:340 SW:320 CW:150 GW:159 Stretch Goal:145 RNY 6/30/16

"The road is long and in the end the journey is the destination"

Most Active