Excess skin

Julene
on 4/28/17 12:25 pm

I know. We were all told of the excess skin horror stories prior to WLS. "But I will be so much happier just to lose weight", I though. And I am/was. After 6 years post RNY, losing 125 pounds and keeping it off, I HATE MY BODY! HATE. HATE. HATE. I would love to start dating again. All prospective dates are eventually going to lean towards sex eventually. There is NO way in heck I would ever allow anyone to touch my skin, let alone see it. I don't think I could even handle "heavy petting" fully clothed. Do I have body dysmorphia? I don't think so. I see it as it is. ITS UGLY! btw, I am seeing a counselor.

So, what to do about it?? Well, I'm disabled and receive $900/month. Total. Saving money? HAHAHAHAHA!! I"m lucky to actually be able to purchase my medications some months! The only thing I can come up with is to have my PC document & photo all rashes and attempt to appeal to my insurance to cover it. I've seen some people go to various websites requesting people donate to their situation. Has anyone tried this with any amount of success? Seems far-fetched to me.

Does anyone have any other options/advice?

* Nicole *
on 4/28/17 5:09 pm

I hear you, Im nearing 12 years post op. To say I hate my body, no I dont. I just hate the excess skin (I had a 10lb panni removal 9 years ago, that was insurance covered). But I probably have another 10-15lbs of excess skin around the trunk of my body I want gone (my upper arms and thighs I can deal with, I build muscle easy so its been easy to "hide" that a bit more).

But honestly dont let it stop you from dating. I didnt, as much as I hated the excess skin and still do. We tend to have a bigger problem with it ourselves then what the potential partner does usually (some are just shallow/picky).

Im finally in a position in my life that I can save for the remaining plastics that arent covered. Yeah....12 years post op, but I was also only 22 when I had surgery. I hate the excess skin on my trunk more than I can bring words too. Cause when I look in the mirror its what I notice (most other people dont).

DS Aug 15th,2005 @ goal, living life and loving it.

"An Arabian will take care of its owner as no other horse will, for it has not only been raised to physical perfection, but has been instilled with a spirit of loyalty unparalleled by that of any other breed."

Beam me up Scottie
on 4/28/17 5:10 pm
It's far fetched. I've been around for years...I've seen people try to "donate their skin" to burn victims, raise money on here, set up gofundme pages etc. It doesn't work.

There are 2 options: 1) you learn to love yourself the way you are (not easy); 2) Document document document, and pray the day your surgeon submits the request that the person that usually approves every case without reviewing get's yours.

Insurance paid for an upper and lower body lift, but not arms or thighs. But just so you know, even when skin is cut away, post op plastic surgery gives you the right shape but it's still doesn't make your skin look normal. My skin still has stretch marks, when i bend over it still "droopy" even though it's tight when I stand up
Valerie G.
on 5/2/17 1:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

If insurance covers it, then by all means, jump through some hoops. I'll bet you that you will still hate your imperfections.

When it comes to dating, it's time to grow up and think farther than sex. In fact, sex should be an event of the mind and emotions as much as it is with the body, and if you are selective and patient to do so with that 'perfect' person who sweeps you off of your feet, the experience will be so overwhelming that he won't be at all concerned with your flaws. For all other men that come and go in-between, abstain. You are under no obligation to put out, and if they don't like it, then guess what? That's not the one.

Call me a prude, but if I were dating, it would be me. My husband could care less about my imperfections.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active