Contrave

LMTSC
on 5/8/17 10:40 am
VSG on 06/29/17

anyone taking the drug Contrave after surgery? Wondering if it would help with head hunger/cravings

Amy R.
on 5/8/17 11:29 am

To answer your question: no, I have not taken Contrave specifically. So take this with a few grains of salt.

At 53 years old (44 when I had my surgery) I have however taken damn near every other appetite suppressant. And yes many of them did work. As in the weight came off. Sometimes I even kept it off for long periods of time.

But here's the thing with using a pill. Even if you can somehow find someone who will keep prescribing the things forever - as in after you are at a medically acceptable weight - you will build up a tolerance to the drug and it will quit working for you. You can push back a little if your doc will up your dose. But eventually you'll max out and no legitimate doc will continue prescribing.

Then what? The bottom line is you'll eventually be back where you started. And you'll have to address the issue with zero pharmaceutical helps. It's actually the same thing after surgery. Our bodies adjust and we are back to addressing our overeating.

Truly I wish I had another way. For you and for all of us. What worked for me wasn't "just" the surgery. I had big regains, and was finally forced to learn a new way of eating.

Gwen M.
on 5/8/17 2:32 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

It looks like it's an extended release medication and I think that's a problem after RNY? (But I think you're getting VSG, right?)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

mi75
on 5/9/17 11:20 am
VSG on 06/01/14

I have taken it, and yes it works well.

I am currently only taking Wellbutrin and it works to curb the mindless/stress/emotional eating. The Naltraxone is what works in your brain to suppress your actual appetite, and I had good results with it.

I chose to just go back on Wellbutrin intermittently and continue my regimen of workout/diet for a while. I will go back on Contrave in a couple of months. I'm trying to do intermittent bursts of the med simply to try this and see if it works until I lose all of my regain.

Most Active