Keeping my fingers crossed

MadisonRose
on 5/11/17 8:20 pm
RNY on 01/23/19

I've shared my story on here before about not having insurance coverage for WLS, but so desperately wanting it.

I'm still searching for other jobs that might offer insurance coverage for the surgery....but in the meantime I've contacted a local bariatric program in my area. I have just submitted all the paperwork and now just waiting on a call to schedule an appointment to meet with the surgeon. I'm hoping he will be able to refer me for a grant. The only bad news is I was informed that they can only refer 2 patients per year. Sigh...so my chances aren't great. But i'm adamant to find a way.

I've also eliminated sodas from my diet and stopped eating sweets at night. I try not to eat a snack at all anymore at night and letting dinner be my last meal before bed. Exercising is still hard with my lower back pain, but hoping that will improve once I lose some weight. I've had to visit my pcp a few times recently dealing with respiratory issues. I've only lost 4 pounds so far, but since I went back today for a checkup, 2 weeks later, I have maintained that weight and not gained any. My blood pressure has also improved. My plan is to start eating healthier all the way around. Encorporating lean meats and more veggies into my diet, while trying to eliminate starches altogether. High protein low carbs worked well for me in the past by allowing me to lose about 50 pounds.

My mother is still on the fence about the whole thing. One day she is all for the surgery asking me at one point if I had gotten my paperwork turned in yet and getting on me to get it done. Other days she is constantly telling me I just need to get out and exercise and forget the surgery. But I am doing this for ME, not her, and while I love her to desth, I do not need her approval. Her words still cut deep sometime, but I try to tune them out.

So now i'm just waiting and hoping...hoping to get an appointment with the surgeon to discuss my options and hoping he can refer me for a grant. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Gwen M.
on 5/12/17 4:28 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This is great! Have you started tracking what you eat with something like MyFitnessPal? It's an important habit to get into and will serve you well post-op as too.

Also, if you haven't - I recommend seeing an orthopedist about the back pain and getting a prescription for physical therapy. Even if your insurance doesn't cover WLS, it should cover an orthopedist and physical therapy. The physical therapist should be able to give you exercises that will help your back and that you can do without aggravating your back.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

MadisonRose
on 5/12/17 11:34 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
MadisonRose
on 5/12/17 11:47 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On May 12, 2017 at 11:28 AM Pacific Time, Gwen M. wrote:

This is great! Have you started tracking what you eat with something like MyFitnessPal? It's an important habit to get into and will serve you well post-op as too.

Also, if you haven't - I recommend seeing an orthopedist about the back pain and getting a prescription for physical therapy. Even if your insurance doesn't cover WLS, it should cover an orthopedist and physical therapy. The physical therapist should be able to give you exercises that will help your back and that you can do without aggravating your back.

That is what I meant to do....check out the MyFitnessPal app! Thank you for reminding me of that!!

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to try to see an ortho doctor about this pack pain. I figured it would go away if I could only get this weight off me...but there is always the chance it might not. I don't think my back pain is weight related, but I'm sure the added weight isn't helping matters. I've just been obese pretty much my whole life, but never had back issues until right after my surgery to remove the huge cyst on my ovary along with my ovary. I had an epidural right before the surgery and not sure if that could be the cause? I just remember the day right after my surgery, the nurse getting me up to start walking and feeling the awful pain in my lower back. I asked my doctor about this pain and she said it was normal....that I had just had surgery and it was expected to be sore, but that it should get better with time. Well my surgery was back in September of 2015 and my back hasn't been the same ever since. It's still very painful. It's only when I stand or walk for about 5 minutes or longer and it's instant relief when I sit down. My mom thinks my back pain is because of my MS, but I've asked my neurologist about this and he says he doesn't think it's the MS and that I should speak with my surgeon since it started right after my surgery. But she can only help so much. So maybe it's time to see an ortho.

I don't know....maybe all this weight I'm carrying around just finally took its toll on my back and that's why it's hurting. I'm just afraid I guess that if I go to an ortho he's going to take one look at me and tell me the weight is the issue and that I need to lose it. Something I already know. But like you said, maybe they can help me with some exercises that are good for my back. Thanks again!

Gwen M.
on 5/13/17 5:19 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Sure thing. I went to the orthopedist many times, and many different ones, while SMO and only once did one ever try the "it's your weight" thing with me.

If the one you see does that, PLEASE don't stand for it. Tell the ortho, "Yes, this might be better with losing weight but I'm working on the weight loss and I'm in pain NOW, so how about you help me with that NOW instead of once I lose weight." And/or, find a different orthopedist who won't try to blame your obesity for everything to the point of ignoring your health problems. They exist :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Jakosaurus
on 5/12/17 5:13 am
VSG on 08/07/17

Hi Madison

I know exactly how you feel needing this surgery but not being able to afford it. It drives me crazy that insurance can still deny medically necessary treatments, but that is the world we live in I guess.

My wife and I are able to get the surgery through her insurance from Starbucks. It is one of the few places that offers insurance to part time employees (20+ hours a week on average) and they have a ton of plans to choose from. All of them cover WLS. Many people work there specifically for their benefits and it is not looked down upon at all. Looking at your prior posts I see there is concern about walking and standing and I won't lie to you...at least at first it will suck because you do stand most of the day, but your feet and back will eventually get used to it. The do have special mats behind the bar to help mitigate it some as well.

In any case, it is something you might want to consider :). Either way I am rooting for you and hope everything all works out well.

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

MadisonRose
on 5/12/17 11:44 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
MadisonRose
on 5/12/17 11:48 pm
RNY on 01/23/19
On May 12, 2017 at 12:13 PM Pacific Time, Jakosaurus wrote:

Hi Madison

I know exactly how you feel needing this surgery but not being able to afford it. It drives me crazy that insurance can still deny medically necessary treatments, but that is the world we live in I guess.

My wife and I are able to get the surgery through her insurance from Starbucks. It is one of the few places that offers insurance to part time employees (20+ hours a week on average) and they have a ton of plans to choose from. All of them cover WLS. Many people work there specifically for their benefits and it is not looked down upon at all. Looking at your prior posts I see there is concern about walking and standing and I won't lie to you...at least at first it will suck because you do stand most of the day, but your feet and back will eventually get used to it. The do have special mats behind the bar to help mitigate it some as well.

In any case, it is something you might want to consider :). Either way I am rooting for you and hope everything all works out well.

Thank you so much! I didn't really know what jobs to apply for, not knowing what type of insurance they have and if it covers WLS.

I will look into Starbucks. Not sure how that kind of job will effect my back, but it's worth a try. Thank you again!

So have you and your wife had the surgery or are you getting ready to have it? Best of luck to the both of you!

Jakosaurus
on 5/13/17 8:08 am
VSG on 08/07/17

We are going through the pre-op diet. We have Aetna and they require a 90 day diet. Our last weigh in appointment is June 5 and then the Dr will submit it for approval. Hopefully we will have a date soon after that. Our surgeons office said they work wit this insurance all the time so they are confident it will go through without any issues.

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1317 views