Hi. I'm new. Just a few questions.

JadenBaby
on 5/22/17 2:04 pm

Hello. I started my weight loss journey in April of 2016. I've been stagnant for a few months and I'm frustrated and looking for support and encouragement.... friends? I'm also wondering if I'm a candidate for any of the procedures based on my BMI. What I mean is...even if insurance wouldn't warrant it, could I still pay out of pocket?

Ive read through some of the threads here but I admit I don't have time to go through the forum thoroughly so I thought perhaps some of you would be so kind as to give me your thoughts.

My starting weight was 310 and I am now 210 after diet and exercise but I'm frustrated because the weight comes off so slowly now.

Im 5'5"-6" and I'll be 49 on Wednesday. I don't know if all that matters. The profile photo is me about 20 pounds ago. Around Xmas, I guess. I've made very little progress since. I'm very frustrated. :(

HW; 335 SW (diet & exercise only); 310 CW; 210 GW; 130

Hi! I'm new! I've worked so hard to get this far. Is bariatric surgery an option for me?

peachpie
on 5/22/17 4:00 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Why not call a bariatric surgeon near you and ask them Their requirements for cash pay vs. insurance requirements.

For your weight range-- it seems like you'd need co morbidities to qualify for most programs.

Great job losing. This stall may be a blessing in disguise- you're seeing what life Maintaining will be like.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Gwen M.
on 5/22/17 5:04 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I recommend starting with your insurance company and finding out what they require.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Skinny_Sue
on 5/22/17 6:55 pm

Ditto,

Both quite sound advice.

Also, have you considered a bit less radical yet still as cutting edge alternative?

Not entirely aware if you were conscious of how you felt when you dropped the 100 just like that, do you recall the state of mind? how about the body feeling?

May sound abstract but things like these (mentality, passion, drive, inner awareness, personal comfort) play a huge role in your weight loss goals.

I would recommend, you try to cultivate those winning thoughts and feelings again then see how quickly you drop more pounds off.

MarinaGirl
on 5/22/17 8:26 pm

Since your BMI is under 35, the chance of your insurance approving you for WLS is slim. Another option is self-pay in Mexico, which would be cheaper than self-pay in the US. I had surgery in Tijuana with Dr. Jaime Ramos Kelly, who I highly recommend.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/23/17 4:34 am

Your BMI is below 35. Many docs would not consider WLS for a person with such a low BMi even if you pay cash, unless you have other medical "side effects" for being obese.

You may find some docs in Mexico who would do that. Btw- 20 lbs in 5 months is a 4 lbs a week. It is not bad considering you already lost 100 lbs.

The smaller you are - the slower the weight loss would occur. Losing 1 lb a week is good. I know you wish to do it faster, but if you continue losing that way - you would get to goal.

FYI - I had RNY - and app 4 -5 years post op I regained some weight... 30 lbs. It took me close to 3 years to lose it again. First 15 -just fell off in 3 months. After that - It was a hard work.

I am no saying you shouldn't consider WLS - just know that even long term post op WLS - losing and maintaining weight is a hard work.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Jakosaurus
on 5/23/17 6:02 am
VSG on 08/07/17

This is what my surgery center requirements are (note insurance requirements are different this is just what the surgeon says he will operate based on):

You may qualify if:

• You are around 100 pounds over the ideal weight, when using life insurance height/weight charts
  • Body Mass Index of 40 or greater
  • Body Mass Index of 35-39.9 with one or more life threatening co-morbidity conditions
  • Previous attempts at weight loss have failed or success has been short-term
  • For 5 or more years, you have been overweight
  • No additional diseases potentially causing you to be overweight
  • You are willing and prepared to make lifestyle and eating ha*****anges
  • You are committed to ongoing lifetime follow-up care
  • 18+ years old

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

Most Active