Liquid Diet and drinking with meals

NotOldMomma
on 5/23/17 12:46 pm

Ok, I have a question. First, my doctor does NOT require a liquid pre-op diet for any amount of time for any reason, she is having me do a low carb low cal diet and that is her choice, no, I don't know why. No, I don't know if that's wrong or right, I'm just stating what I've been instructed. If you would like to voice your opinion on her choice, please feel free without jumping down my throat lol.

Anyway, my question is, when you're on the liquid diet, because I will be on clear liquids for 2 weeks post-op, then on full liquids for 2 more weeks post-op. I know every surgeon and surgery is different but I'm wondering how do I differentiate between my "drink" and my liquids that are my meals. Since I've been instructed that I can not drink 30 minutes prior to a meal and 30 minutes after. And that's forever or I risk stretching my pouch I've been told. Which I remember as a child Grandma never let you have drinks at the table cause she said it would make you fat lol I always thought it was because she knew how clumsy i was lol

PS: Pre-op I am going to do clear liquids for a few days on my own just as a precaution lol no sense in taking more chances

A JOURNEY OF A THOUSAND MILES STARTS WITH A SINGLE STEP. ......

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/17 1:21 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You need to wait 30 minutes between EATING (solid food) and drinking.

Drinking after meals doesn't stretch your pouch, but it does wash all the lovely protein right through your stomach and make you hungry again.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Jakosaurus
on 5/23/17 1:23 pm
VSG on 08/07/17

ninja'd again

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

NotOldMomma
on 5/23/17 2:04 pm

HA! So it WAS cause Grandma knew I was so clumsy lol

Thank you.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/23/17 6:02 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I agree with you Julie with one caveat: it doesn't stretch the pouch -- but those of us with an RNY no longer have our pyloric valve -- and drinking with meals or with food does stretch that. This is very bad for us, as once that is stretched out, it can become like one huge stomach rather than a pouch to the small intestine so that we never have food rest in the "stomach" and never feel satiated. All caution should be taken to keep from stretching that stoma for RNY patients as fixes such as the ROSE procedure are largely unsuccessful.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/23/17 6:19 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Thanks for the clarification!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

NotOldMomma
on 5/24/17 4:15 am

Oh thats very interesting. thank you for that knowledge.

Jakosaurus
on 5/23/17 1:22 pm
VSG on 08/07/17

From my understanding (and I'm sure people with more experience than I will chime in soon too) not drinking with meals is because the liquid will wash the food out of your stomach essentially making it a "slider" food. I don't think it will change the capacity of your stomach. Since that's the case it shouldn't matter while you are on your all liquid stages because they will both go through your stomach at the same/similar rate anyway. It might be helpful to get into the habit though.

My surgeon requires the pre-op liquid diet to shrink your liver and give him more room to work. Maybe your surgeon doesn't 'cause she feels that she is just that good LOL. Either way I think going ahead and doing some days can't hurt and may keep your liver from getting scratched up (is that even a thing?).

HW: 332

SW: TBD

CW: 306.7

GW: 175

MFP Username: Jakosaurus82

NotOldMomma
on 5/23/17 2:11 pm

Thanks, Jak! Lol I HOPE its because my surgeon IS that good lol and yeah I am going to err on the side and do some days of liquids just to avoid some scratches lol

Erin T.
on 5/23/17 5:31 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

The not drinking with meals is required RNY and highly suggested for VSG. Since RNY folks don't have a pyloric valve it will wash food out of the stomach. With VSG it just feels uncomfortable (but will not stretch anything out).

My surgeon gave me two diet options. One was partial liquid and some solid and other other was all liquid. The all liquid was shorter and I chose that, but could have had solid foods up until 24 hours before surgery.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active