Pain under left shoulder blade?

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 8:14 am
RNY on 04/18/17

I am six weeks out from bypass surgery. Doing fine, slow and steady. Other than a painful episode of severe constipation, I feel fortunate that I haven't really had any pain issues. But the past couple of days, I have a nagging pull under my left shoulder blade. It definitely feels like muscle pain (as did my episode of constipation).
Has anyone else experienced pain in this area? Did you seek medical advice? I don't think it is anything to be concerned about, but it is annoying, sort of draining. Thanks in advance.

Kristi T.
on 5/27/17 9:29 am, edited 5/27/17 2:29 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

To be safe, I would give your surgeon or PCP a call. It's better to be cautious, especially since you stated it is draining your energy. It's possible you just pulled a muscle, maybe even during your episode with constipation if you were straining...call them:-)

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 1:34 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

Thanks for the input. I will call if it does not resolve soon.

Mary Gee
on 5/27/17 10:29 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Personally, can't imagine shoulder pain being related to WLS....but, of course, I'm not an expert. You probably just pulled a muscle and it will resolve shortly. If not, I'd probably call my PCP about it, not my surgeon.

As for constipation......I need to take Miralax daily to avoid.

Hope things resolve for you quickly. Congrats on doing well post surgery!

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 1:32 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

I know, right? I do recall that this is where I hurt when I woke up from my band surgery back in 2007. I kept asking the nurse why my back hurt. And I had severe back labor when delivering my babies. I think, for me, any disturbance in the intestinal area manifests through back pain. I really want to avoid taking a laxative daily. I consider it often. So far I've just had that one serious episode that lasted about five days about week 3 out. Thanks for the input.
It reminds me of things and helps me think through the issue.

CerealKiller Kat71
on 5/28/17 8:03 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

Many of us take miralax daily, prescribed by our doctor -- it's sort of standard for RNY patients at least. Miralax is NOT a stimulant laxative. It is an osmotic stool softener -- it works by drawing fluids into the intestine from other tissue and blood vessels. This makes the stool softer and easier to pass. It is not addictive/dependent like a stimulant laxative. In general, it's better to get ahead of the constipation issue.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/17 7:32 am
RNY on 04/18/17

I'm pretty regular since that post-op episode. Now that the pain meds are out of my system.
My morning coffee usually does the trick. I am able to eat salad like nobody's business (for which I am thrilled
because with the band I could not!). I also work a fiber supplement into my shakes.

LMTSC
on 5/27/17 12:34 pm
VSG on 06/29/17

Do you have any shortness of breath?

I can and I will

WATCH ME!

(deactivated member)
on 5/27/17 1:22 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

No, thankfully. And this isn't that stabbing pain I got right after surgery whenever I took a deep breath. It is very low. Breathing does not affect it. Thanks.
I used to have a band, and this is the same spot where I had pain when the band failed and became infected. I will call Tuesday---of course, these things always occur on weekends and holidays.

Nic M
on 5/27/17 1:05 pm

It's most likely lingering pain from the gas used during surgery. However, I had Lap band and the surgeon placed it incorrectly, damaging my diaphragm and the Vagus nerves, so I had severe left shoulder pain for years (and still have it occasionally, even though I had the band out in 2005.) The Vagus nerve in particular really seems to be affected during laparoscopic surgery. And sometimes having gas in your gut can cause that pain to rear its head. I think it presses up into the diaphragm, for lack of a better description, and the Vagus nerves run from the base of the skull down through the diaphragm, into the top portion of the stomach.

I'd talk to your doc... ask about the Vagus nerve. You're still healing, so hopefully that pain will pass as the air exits your system. Best of luck to you. Hope you feel better really soon.

Avoid kemmerling, Green Bay, WI

Most Active