Contemplations

(deactivated member)
on 6/17/17 11:01 am
RNY on 04/18/17

At this time last year, my husband and I were planning a trip to Mexico. I was fighting daily to stay below 270. I weighed about 220 after the lap band was removed in 2015 and then immediately entered menopause, so the pounds piled on at a pretty good clip over the next two years. Last summer, I finally had to give in and buy some size 22 jeans and 2X tops. While I had a nice new wardrobe for our trip, I was fat and uncomfortable the whole time, and of course couldn't walk far without joints hurting. That's pretty much when I decided that I had to go for the RNY, which I should have done in 2007 instead of the band. Woulda, shoulda, coulda! But I knew if I didn't do something, I would be over 300 pounds by next year.

I am about 9 weeks out from my surgery, and down nearly 40 pounds. Heading to my class reunion next week. I am between pant sizes, so it is difficult to find a pair that fit right---too tight or WAY too loose. I guess the great thing about where I'm at now is that even though I have lost a significant amount of weight, it isn't really enough for people to look at me and say, "WHOA!" It's no more than I've ever lost before on my own, so people won't be anxious to discuss my changing physique. I've fluctuated so often the past 5 years, this phase will seem no different to anyone.

I am thinking about this because I have not told anyone about my recent surgery. So far, not a single person has remarked that I look like I'm losing (except my husband). I'm looking forward to the day that I finally fall below where I've been. Have not been below 200 for over 20 years, easily. Maybe 25. I've had two meals with family members and not a single person has remarked on how much I'm not eating.

Right now I am no a good losing streak. I expect to stall soon. Seems I do about every ten pounds. That's OK. I learned from the last two stalls how it goes. So far, the journey is good even though I'm still in familiar territory. Very soon, next month or the next, I will be in new territory and loving it. Thanks for all of the sharing and support here. It has helped me tremendously.

Most Active