Kathy S WLS Journey - DS, Lap Band, RNY...OH MY?

Kathy S.
on 6/26/17 12:36 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

DS, Lap Band, RYN...Oh My??????

July 13, 2004

I was all set but after reading post on the ObesityHelp board I am now having second thoughts on what procedure to have. Everyone is posting about the DS. Where they leave a 3rd of your stomach and everything flows more normally. The big plus is almost no one puts the weight back on with this procedure, and no side effects like you have with the pouch. If it's so great then why isn't everyone doing it? I need to talk to the surgeon again. I am going to leave a message for someone to call me and see when I can see the surgeon again.

Updated thoughts - There are pros and cons for each and all procedures. When someone asked me how did you decide, I tell them to read closely what is required of "YOU" to be successful and ask yourself if that is something you can do for the rest of your life? I researched and asked questions until I felt as good as one can about my decision. I visited and spoke with my surgeon 4 times before surgery, asked questions at each and every meeting at the surgeon's office. And read and asked on OH for months. I never regretted my choice of RNY even after 13 years.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Valerie G.
on 6/28/17 12:49 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's a much more complicated procedure, so not all surgeons perform it. There is also a huge nutritional responsibility that comes with it, because it induces malabsorption at large degree, so the patient has to be smart and vigilant about supplementation and labwork, otherwise malabsorption can lead to malnutrition.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1377 views