Taking Stock

(deactivated member)
on 6/28/17 12:22 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

We have been on the road for over a week. I'm doing well. Forty pounds down, fitting into jeans I have not worn for years. In photos, I still look huge. Today I am sitting alone as the rest of the family cavorts at the water park. No way am I going into public in a swimming suit. Don't know if I ever will. I'm really ready to start actually looking like I am losing weight.
On a side note, sometimes I can scarcely swallow two bites, and other times I can eat quite a lot (it seems) but not more than 6 ounces. Does anyone else experience this fluctuation?

Kathy1212
on 6/28/17 12:39 pm

The water park sounds like fun; too bad you don't feel up to going in. It's fun needing new bathing suit sizes as you lose.

I have days where I can eat more and days where I have to push to get my protein in. I can't eat more than 2-3 ounces at a time, but that's probably just me. I had a slow start with solid foods because I had inflammation and had to do an extra month of full liquids and purees.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Kathy1212
on 6/28/17 12:40 pm

I accidentally hit post before I was done, lol. I wanted to say, congrats on the awesome loss! You're doing great!

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Highfunctioningfatman
on 6/28/17 4:29 pm
VSG on 08/29/16

It took 60 pounds down before people started saying anything to me. The fluctuations are completely normal. Congratulations on your weight loss!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 6/28/17 4:54 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I started at nearly 350 pounds, so I had lost 70 pounds before people really started to notice. Then it was like a floodgate had opened, and I wished people would shut up about it!

To your side note, there are days (even now, at 3 years out) I feel like I hardly want to eat anything and then other days when I feel like I can eat a lot more. I call those "big pouch days." It is also dependent on what I am eating: dense protein fills me up faster and longer. Slider foods (yogurt, protein shakes, etc) do not.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

BETH6536
on 6/29/17 2:37 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

I had surgery the day after you, basically same starting weight, and weight now. I have the same kind of days where I can eat more than the day before. Soup broth and salad vs lean protein.

I work out 6 days a week (3 are weight lifting days). People who haven't seen me in awhile scream when they see me. I don't see it.

I went through about 3 weeks of no scale change but I know my body was changing still. I can feel and see muscle forming in my arms so I don't stress out (too much).

Good luck!

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 6/29/17 7:34 am - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

No one noticed until I lost 50-60 pounds, whether it was a regular diet, or RNY. Keep up to good work.

I'm 2.5 years post Rny, so long enough to say that you may need to find new activities that you will love to do. Take this time to decide if you want to go back to this water park next summer. You may also use this 'alone time' to search the internet and find new activities that you might like to try.

Best of everything on your weight loss journey.

PS I am trying zip lining on Monday. I hope I don't chicken out.

Sharon

(deactivated member)
on 7/1/17 12:47 pm
RNY on 04/18/17

Ha, Sharon! Good for you! At my age and with my inner ear/balance issue, I won't be zip lining, bungee jumping OR riding the New York New York roller coaster that is right outside of my hotel room right now. I always swam as a kid and rode my bike. All the time and everywhere. Mostly now, I love to dance. That's about it. I will say that I DID put on my suit and the bathing skirt and cover up and went down to the pool this morning. Of course, sitting among all of the scrawny gals in their thong bikinis just motivated me to go back to the room. Owning the fat gene sucks! I know I have to lose 50-60 to even go down a size in jeans. I'll just keep plugging away one day at a time. Thanks~!

Most Active