New here, need advice.

Gen27
on 7/5/17 7:23 am, edited 7/6/17 7:09 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

Hi Guys, Canadian girl here!

I am new here, I was talking with my mom this weekend and I realize that now would be a good time to talk to my doctor about weight loss surgery. I have been talking with my doctor for a while now but everything I try, I seem to fail every time, and my weight just gets higher and higher. I'm at my highest I have ever been.

Little back story..

When I was in high school, I was about 250lbs. after college I manage to lost 70lbs which bring me to 180 (yaye me). The thing is, I did it by basically starving myself and going 6 days/week, 2h/day to the gym. I was crazy for the gym and sometimes I would go on Saturdays so I wouldn't feel guilty. (that was back in 2010)

Since then, I met my now husband in 2011, and things slipped out day by day. I was starting to ditch the gym and didn't have the ''time'' or ''want'' to go anymore (to be honest, I did it so much that I got sick of it when I realize how I was not living a normal life while doing that) I was still not eating properly and if I would eat it would be only salad, only chicken or stuff that didn't tasted anything really..

in 2012 I got pregnant, oh hello cravings (that killed me, and my weight started jumping up fast) lol. I gained 31lbs (was 211, after birth) I was devastated because when I got under 200 I told myself I would NEVER go in the 200! I was always reminding myself that it was food a good reason tho.

when my son was 1 year old, I got pregnant again, I was still 211. I couldn't lose my baby weight (which wasn't really the baby weight, I was just eating!!!) then I gained 25lbs with this pregnancy (that bring me to 236 after birth)

When my little girl was 2 month old I got diagnosed with PPD and got medication for it (I am still struggling with it to this day, over 2 years later.)

After my little girl I was way out of control. My weight never stopped going up. The worse part is that I don't eat alot, just often. The last time I got on a scale I was 272, so I bet i'm even more than that. (Mind you, at 5'1, it's REALLY eavy) I have NO energy, never want to do anything, I feel ugly, I sweat by doing nothing, it's just crazy!!

I have a kangaroo pouch since having two kids, and now I noticed a smell from it. not even 2 hours after a shower I will start to smell myself (I don't think it's really noticeable, but it drives me nuts!!)

Last time I got blood work done (not too long ago) I was very close from diabetes...

I'm tired of feeling like this, I want my life back!!!

If you read it all, thank you so much!!! Just know it's REALLY hard for me to talk about number when it comes to the scale, but I think i'm at the right place to be able to talk about it

Gwen M.
on 7/5/17 9:07 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome and congratulations on making the decision to talk to your doctor! That's a big first step.

If you haven't already, I also recommend that you call the number on the back of your insurance card to find out what your coverage is for WLS and what requirements you'll need to meet for insurance.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Gen27
on 7/6/17 5:15 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

My insurance itself or medicare?

Is medicare cover for surgery or its out of pocket surgery?

thanks and sorry if its a silly question, I have no clue haha

Au_Contraire
on 7/6/17 6:00 am, edited 7/5/17 11:49 pm

Your insurance itself. You aren't on Medicare, which covers adults 65 years and older. You may be on Medicaid, which is a different program. My insurance (Blue Shield of CA) covered my RNY (for which I am very grateful!). Not every insurance policy will do so. You need to get the specifics on what your policy covers. If you have an insurance card, it should have a phone number listed on the back. Call it, and ask if weight loss surgery is covered by your policy. Ask which bariatric surgeons are in your network and if you need a referral from your general or family practitioner, or if you just can go ahead and make an appointment with the weight loss surgeon.

Gen27
on 7/6/17 6:48 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

not sure if it's different, I live in canada? and most of our medical expense is covered ..

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/6/17 6:51 am, edited 7/5/17 11:52 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I am sorry, we made the assumption that you were in the United States (Medicare) -- because I'd forgotten that the Canadian system is informally called that, too.

Yes, WLS is covered under your system -- there are many Canadians here -- hopefully one can chime in with advice. Unfortunately, I don't know enough about it to be of help there.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Gen27
on 7/6/17 7:08 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

ok that's why I was confuse about being 65 and up.. hihi

I should of specify in my post about where I live tho, :)

White Dove
on 7/5/17 9:18 am - Warren, OH

What weight loss surgery did for me was take away my hunger and also made it very difficult to overeat.

In addition to that I had RNY, so what I ate was not fully absorbed for the first few years.

My surgery was almost ten years ago. I maintain my goal weight easily. I am full of energy. I enjoy my small meals and my small clothes.

I think surgery will be a wonderful, life-changing experience for you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gen27
on 7/6/17 6:52 am - saint-joseph-de-kent, NB

wow, thank you so much!! you're so inspiring! WTG for keeping the weight down!! My appointment with my doctor is at the end of the month, i'm anxious, but I cannot wait to take it off my chest and to see what's next!!

CerealKiller Kat71
on 7/6/17 6:29 am, edited 7/5/17 11:30 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

I have always been a very good mother -- but losing my excess weight has made me a better mother.

I can truly do things with my son -- run, jump, climb -- and have the energy to go all day. We bicycle together around town, now. I can chase him and actually catch him! I am not always telling him, "Go ahead, I will watch you -- I am going to sit right here."

It's hard to feel motivated to really be active when we are exhausted and sweaty. I know -- I remember.

Moreover, there's all the other little things, too. I can ride roller coasters with him. I am not embarrassed to be the "fattest mom" in his groups/activities. I will let people take pictures of us.

Next time you are at the grocery store, go over to the dog food aisle and pick up a 50 lb bag of dog food and carry it around. Then imagine carrying one, two, even three of those around for the entire day. I was carrying 4.25 of those around every place I went. Of course I was tired!

I contend that any time we are obese and still getting up and living a "normal" life -- we are the least lazy people on earth. Everything is SO much work when we are carrying excess weight along for the ride.

Call your Medicaid provider and find out what the requirements are for WLS. That's your first step. I wish you luck on your endeavor.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat