kathy S WLS Journey - Protein Drinks and Losing My Hair

Kathy S.
on 7/20/17 8:00 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Oct. 31, 2004

Happy Halloween!!!

Well today is my 2 month anniversary. I weighed in at 236, down 63 pounds from the highest weight of 299 (weight before surgery). While I am happy about this I do noticed it's slowing down.

As for all the complications I am finding they are healing very well and I think after my next doctor's appt on Nov 11 I will be going back to work.

I have to work on my energy level. I find I start out feeling great ready to take on the world but then tire easily. I started walking around a little lake we have behind our house and it was rough at first, only getting half way around and then had to have my husband help me. I now can walk at a fast pace all the way around and have joined Women's Workout Express. I checked out Curves but WWE has more equipment including a treadmill (mine stopped working) and better hours. Just finished my first week there and it's surprising how much of a work out you do get. This is great for a beginner!

The other problem I have is wearing a bra. My incision goes from between my breast to my belly button. When wearing my bra it bothers and to some degree hurts in between my breast. The incision has now plumped up, it's not smooth to the touch as it was. So I bought a long line bra and it was great for between my breast but bothers the incision further down and now it too has raised up and hurts. Not sure what to do about this, but I can't go without a bra!!!!! I also noticed today where the bra's are hitting the incision area I am now getting little blisters.

Another problem I am having is getting in the protein. I can not get the drinks down. LORD I HAVE TRIED! Some protein bars I can get down but want to do it through food. Of course we can't eat enough yet to do so. A good day I get close to 50 grams, bad day 20. I need to get to 60. Not sure about the water... I think I am getting in what I need to do but not sure.

Counting the hairs in my brush each day, as everyone says if you don't get your protein in your hair will fall out. At the rate I am going with the lack of protein if this is true I will be bald for Christmas.

I really have to get a handle on this before going back to work in a couple of weeks. My job is all consuming and very stressful. There have been days where you are in the middle of a crisis and don't eat, ugh.

I am going to buy a container that holds 64 ozs and use that for my water. I am also going to be sure and pack my food the night before using small containers.

All in all I guess I can't complain. Even though it's been two months my doctor says since I spent 6 weeks of that in bed it really feels like two weeks for me and he is right.

I had my husband take a two month pic. I missed the one month as I was sooooo sick. Sent a pic of my heavest to be added to my profile and want to add the two month one. I think I will do this every month for inspiration to myself.

Until next time :-)

Updated thoughts - Now that I have 10 years plus under my belt I know this is normal. It's normal to not be able to get all the protein in at first. You are swollen, you are getting use to your little, tiny, new tummy. So take it from me and years of knowledge, DON'T STRESS, DO YOUR BEST! It will get better and you will get your protein in.

They hammer that into us so much we freak when we don't get it all in. Relax, you are doing fine.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

BETH6536
on 7/23/17 5:01 am - Beaverton, OR
RNY on 04/19/17

I'm so glad you posted this. I was terribly ill the first month and stayed in bed crying wondering if I had ruined my life. I was wearing vitamin patches but I don't think they were working for me and I wasn't getting the nutrition I needed. I cheated at this point. I knew I needed to take my meds (heart and hormone) but wasn't able to get them down so I put them in no sugar added apple sauce. It was like a miracle and after a couple of weeks was able to get meds down with water. It's comforting to see others didn't have a smooth transition into this new life as well.

Hair loss. Thank god my I have a lot of it cuz it's coming out in clumps. I'm barely 3 months from surgery and scared this will be never ending. I used the hair dryer to blow all the loose hair strands on the bathroom counter into a pile to scoop up. Chicken is hard on my stomach but I get what I can down and eat other sources of protein. I'm range about 10-20 grams a day shy of where I need to be. Once again it's comforting to see that it does take time getting up to where you're eating enough protein.

Thanks for posting and being so re-assuring

RNY surgery date 4-19-17

HW: 280 Surgery Weight: 262 CW: 165

(M1) 23 (M2) 8 (M3) 11 (M4) 9 (M5) 7 (M6) 9

Kathy S.
on 7/24/17 11:30 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Beth,

Thank you for letting me know as I don't want it to scare people. I had the thickest hair and did the special shampoo and took vitamins for it. I don't know if it was just the surgery or the complications but I can tell you it does grow back. I even tried wigs, it was the thing I ever did.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active