I did it!

kitmouse
on 7/28/17 12:32 pm, edited 7/28/17 12:35 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

Surgery yesterday, and my swallow test went perfectly. My doctor says "you're maybe even a little ahead" (I've been doing laps around the nurses station).

And who kno that chicken broth would taste this good?? And who knew that I'd be in a place there I hadn't eaten in 30 hours, and a few spoonfuls of broth were good to go? Who is this person? Just...WOW. I was really worried about eating so little food with that driving, desperate hunger. I get it now, though. Bye bye, Hungry Monster!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 7/28/17 12:37 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Glad you made it through surgery!

Enjoy the "honeymoon" phase while it lasts. For most people, hunger doesn't stay away forever, so make the most of it now!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

ThatMeanOne
on 7/28/17 12:45 pm
VSG on 08/22/16

Ditto!

and.... Might I suggest using this time to address any food related issues you might have....

kitmouse
on 7/28/17 1:19 pm
RNY on 07/27/17

I'm working with a really good therapist. :) I intend to use this time to really focus on a clean slate, learn the new habits I need, and sharply focus on my body's signals. Lots to work on but worth it!

ThatMeanOne
on 7/28/17 6:07 pm
VSG on 08/22/16

I'm so glad to hear it! Keep your eye on the prize and keep moving. It's going to be fantastic!

joanne0658
on 7/28/17 1:21 pm

Congrats!!!

I'm three days past 2 years ago having my VSG . . . . It was so very worth it. Enjoy the journey, compare yourself to no one else, and know this was a great decision. Oh, and listen to your doc first and foremost.

Jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

Kathyjs
on 7/28/17 4:25 pm

Congrats !!! Keep moving and sipping :-)

PookyS
on 7/29/17 6:55 am

We had surgery the same day. I'm finding that I'm able to walk and have very little pain. It's more of an annoyance or discomfort in my stomach. The first day (yesterday) was a chore to even get 20 oz in. I hope someone can give me some advice. I'm full on just 3 sips of water, 2 tsp. Jello, and a couple spoons of broth. I don't want to get dehydrated. Any hints?

kitmouse
on 7/29/17 8:15 am
RNY on 07/27/17

Yay for Surgery Sisters! I am RIGHT where you are. Broth was good but I had maybe half of it, sugar free jello was weird tasting so I had two spoonfuls, and I CANNOT HANDLE the Isopure protein. Ugh, no, no, BAD. My doctor's paperwork said bring my own protein drinks with me, so I have protein I know I like. It's not 40 grams (it's 15) but drinking all of 15 grams is better than drinking NONE of 40.

My hospital has a crunch ice machine. You know, the little pebbles that are the best ice ever? So I've been going through cups of that. I'm doing okay with that. Yesterday I went through three 24 ounce cups! I know melted down it's less than that, but still. It's fluid. (And I've been peeing like a racehorse!)

PookyS
on 7/31/17 8:21 am

I guess when we are given goals of 64 oz fluid and 80 grams of protein, it seems like a monumental task right now, but it will get better. SF Jello taste like poison chemicals to me now. How are your incision sites? My surgeon used Dermabond to close, and they look a tad bit swollen but not infected. When I was discharged last Fri., I had 2 doses of adult extra strength Tylenol and haven't taken anything for pain since Friday night. I guess it's because I'd rather have a little discomfort and use the sleeve space to get down fluids. The taste of liquid medicine is blaah!

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1389 views