Hair loss

Magill2
on 8/8/17 2:10 pm

I am 6 mos out from RNY. 76 lbs down. Goal 85. Losing weight fast. Losing hair faster! I have heard it starts growling back after 6 mos. I have read a lot on this forum. I am using Nioxin shampoo & conditioner. Extra protein up to 180 grams daily. Still losing hair. Kinda' depressed today because if it. I have not turned to food for comfort. Please tell me if the 6 mos real is factual.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/8/17 2:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

You cannot prevent your hair from falling out. Supplements, shampoo, protein-- nothing is going to stop it. Google "telogen effluvium" for more info.

Some people report that it stops falling out at six months. For others, it may be 9 months or even a year. (I think mine started growing back at about 10 months or so.) It really depends on our individual bodies.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Gwen M.
on 8/8/17 3:47 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

All of this!

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

CC C.
on 8/8/17 2:20 pm

I am 6 months from VSG tomorrow. It may be wishful thinking, but I feel like I'm losing less than at the peak of my hair loss (which I repeatedly labeled "alarming" and "disturbing" with shouts of "holy crap!" when drying it after washing). I'm still waiting for the new sprouts!

SallyCat
on 8/8/17 3:00 pm
VSG on 10/17/16

I think my hair loss may be slowing. But alas, no sprouts as of yet. I will be 10 months out in ten days. I miss my thick hair, but would trade it for health again in a heartbeat.

HW: 375 SW: 282 CW: 167 GW: 159

Magill2
on 8/9/17 4:43 pm

I agree! I don't think I have 4 more months of hair left. I'll just have remain on course and 'whatever will be will be.'

Thank you!

Valerie G.
on 8/8/17 3:21 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Telogen Effluvium (google it to learn more) starts around 4-5 mos post op and lasts a few months before it subsides. This is regardless of what shampoo, protein amount or vitamins you take. It just has to run its course.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Unlimited
on 8/8/17 7:24 pm - WI
RNY on 03/29/16

I had RNY 3.29.16, around 5 moths out - hair started thinning - bought a hairpiece and liked it but clipping it in same spot each day didn't help with breakage. hair continues to thin so by Thanksgiving bought a full wig.

Loved it! Bought another wig for summer highlights etc ... Love it .. yes my hair is returning
"some" -- but I always had thinning hair on top due to thyroid issues....

So I feel 110% I will stick with wigs long term -- check out the website - incredible wigs wished I had known about these wigs when I went thru Breast Cancer Fall 2006

Godiva Secret Wigs. my life has changed incredibly with the weight loss - and these wigs!!

Magill2
on 8/9/17 4:35 pm

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's replies with suggestions.

Janet P.
on 8/9/17 10:04 am

It definitely does slow down - probably more like 8-9 months than 6, especially since you're still losing. The added protein does nothing. I believe the hair loss has to do with hormonal changes and the rapid weight loss.

Remember that everyone is different so this is only what happened to me. I used Nioxin (I think I started using it before my surgery) and according to my hairdresser at the time she could see new growth around my hairline. I was also fortunately to have a full head of hair (fine hair but tons of it), so it wasn't too noticeable by others (only me).

Please don't be depressed - the most important thing is your health and it sounds like you're doing great with your weight loss.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1399 views