Cortisone Shot and Upcoming EGD Next Week

FluffyChix
on 8/15/17 4:08 am

Hi y'all, TIA! So I had a cortisone shot in the hip yesterday for bursitis. I didn't think enough to ask the ortho dude, but will that present a problem to the EGD I'm having next Thursday (Thursday a week from now)? The gastro doc's office is VERY hard to reach, so don't want to call them an ask unless I have to...

SkinnyScientist
on 8/15/17 7:35 am

First tell the tech AND call the surgeon's office. Even leaving a message with the office is better than not telling.

I dont think it would but I am not an MD.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/drugs/cortisone

The shot is local and they typically don't administer too much. The idea is to get relief without giving too much relief.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Jester
on 8/15/17 7:36 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I would call the surgeon's office that if performing the EGD. I would highly doubt this would be an issue, but always better safe than sorry.

FluffyChix
on 8/15/17 8:23 am

Thank y'all! I put a call in to the nurse and am waiting to hear back. The procedure desk didn't think there would be an issue, but I will update this once I hear. (In case anyone else has this question in future.)

catwoman7
on 8/15/17 10:37 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I think the bariatric surgeon would know a lot more about this than the ortho person, so I'd call him/her. Like the others, I doubt it would interfere, but I sure would ask because you never know..

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

FluffyChix
on 8/15/17 11:18 am

The nurse talked to the gastro doc doing the procedure and he said there is not going to be any problems with the cortisone injection! Now, just crossing fingers that it doesn't do anything weird like stall my weight loss or make me turn into a hungry hungry caterpillar!

Kathyjs
on 8/16/17 5:58 pm

I have had many many cortisone shots. It won't interfere with weight loss

Knitter215
on 8/16/17 7:56 pm
VSG on 08/23/16

Do let them know, but it shouldn't be an issue. I get cortisone shots in my knees about every three months. The only issue is having them too close to surgery because it can lower your immune system and make you more susceptible to infection. My knee ortho said no cortisone shots within 6 weeks of surgery on either side. It worked out fine. It shouldn't affect the EGD which is, essentially, non-invasive. Cortisone can affect wound healing. Best of luck.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

Most Active