Self Pay advice needed - Kentucky

lollimolly
on 8/18/17 2:06 pm

Hello!

I'm new, so if this isn't in the correct place, I apologize.

I live in Kentucky, so generally insurance won't cover weight loss surgery. I don't qualify for Medicaid.

So I'm more than likely going to be a self pay patient. I've looked into the surgeon and hospital costs and it seems like they are both going to require up front payment, which I definitely don't have and would take me years to save up.

Does anyone know of surgeons/hospitals/centers in Kentucky that do payment plans?

Or, how does one get a medical loan? I don't own a house, so I can't take out a mortgage, and my credit is less than desirable (I'm trying to work on it).

I just want my life back. I just want to be able to do the things I used to be able to do. Ride amusement park rides. Go grocery shopping without back pain. SIT IN CHAIRS WITH ARM RESTS. I'm at a loss. I want this surgery so badly, but I don't know how to make it happen.

Thanks in advance for reading my rambling mess and for any advice you can offer.

Girl_in_green_dress
on 8/18/17 8:18 pm - Louisville, KY
VSG on 10/16/17

Where are you in Kentucky? I know there is a hospital in southern Indiana that offers different options. http://www.pmcindiana.com/Bariatrics/pricing.shtml, and there all all types of Medical Loan places like Health Care Lending Services, and local banks sometime will work with you for medical loans.

lollimolly
on 8/20/17 3:32 pm

I'm actually right across the bridge from Corydon, Indiana. I'll look into that hospital, thank you!

pammieanne
on 8/19/17 6:35 am - OK
RNY on 05/16/16

I have no knowledge of specific laws in Kentucky, but there are also very affordable options in Mexico. You'd want to do your homework, but many of those places are very good and very affordable (relatively).

Height 5'5" HW 260 SW 251 CW 141.6 (2/27/18)

RNY 5-16-16 Pre-Op 9lbs, M1-18.5lbs, M2-18.1lbs, M3-14.8lbs, M4-10.4lbs, M5-9.2lbs, M6-7lbs, M7-6.2lbs, M8-8.8lbs,M9-7.8lbs, M10-1 lb, M11-.6lbs, M12-4.4lbs

Laura in Texas
on 8/19/17 6:40 am

Think creatively to save up while you work on your credit and look for other options. Can you find a cheaper place to live? Sell your car and get a cheaper one? Cut out cable? Get a second job? Babysit? Petsit? Tutor? Make a craft and sell it? Sell things around the house you no longer use?

There are lots of little things you can do to save/earn extra money. I am the Queen of doing so.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

lollimolly
on 8/20/17 3:34 pm

Unfortunately, I don't have many bills I can cut out, I've already minimized most things. But I've never thought about tutoring, that's something I can definitely look into! Thank you for the suggestion.

Arjeffries
on 8/19/17 10:49 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

Dr Benjamin Tanner through Norton's medical weight loss center offers prepaid plans, I think. You could look into Care credit also for a loan. Dr. Tanners # is 502 899 6405. You could try switching insurance plans or jobs to get a different insurance plan.

lollimolly
on 8/20/17 3:37 pm

Thats the doctor and hospital I've been looking into. Dr. Tanner's office said he'd require the payment upfront, did you have a different option? His costs are actually fairly reasonable, it's mostly the hospital cost I'm concerned about. Norton said that most likely I'll have to pay the $10,000+ up front, but to call their financial advisors. I've called three times and so far they haven't called me back. I'm planning on calling again tomorrow morning.

Arjeffries
on 8/20/17 4:08 pm
VSG on 01/27/16

My insurance paid for my surgery. I had to appeal it because originally my insurance didn't cover weight loss surgeries. I made payments on the hospital before surgery.

lollimolly
on 8/21/17 5:16 am

How did the appeal process work? My policy specifically says it doesnt cover weight loss surgery, so I'm not sure if I can appeal that since it was already in my policy, but if its possible I will definitely try