Anyone who has had an RNY reversal

CJohnston
on 8/21/17 7:00 pm, edited 8/21/17 7:01 pm

Hello,

I'd like to speak to people who have had reversals. I'd like to know what led to the reversal and how you are doing afterward. Please feel free to comment your story or send me a private message if you would prefer to keep it private. Thanks!

Cathy H.
on 8/21/17 8:36 pm
VSG on 10/31/16
NYMom222
on 8/21/17 11:22 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

It sounds like you still have buyers remorse and are in panic mode. You mentioned in your other post you were going to see a therapist, did that happen? Your body is going through a lot of changes on many levels. You need to sort things out.

You are paralyzingly yourself with information overload. A better decision would be making a decision to make this work and spend time on the daily menu post, and reading on OH how to make it work.

Revisions are much harder surgeries and you won't be exactly the same. Honestly any doctor that would do a revision on someone so early out is a quack.

Do I understand how you feel on some level- yes. Did I sit there going what did I do? Yes. But I saw this as my new life- and that there weren't any takebacks. I just pushed forward. I have no regrets

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

CJohnston
on 8/22/17 6:22 am

Thanks for your concern. I never said i was getting a reversal tomorrow or at all. I was searching for information from people who have been in the position of having a reversal and i wanted to know how they were doing. I notice a lot of people see reversal as a bad word and dont want anyone to speak of it but I think its only right to get everyone's story and not just the happy ones. I want to be informed on all the outcomes.

NYMom222
on 8/22/17 10:18 am
RNY on 07/23/14

I realize you never said you were getting a reversal, but knowing your other post with your buyer's remorse basically is why I wrote what I did. If on some level it wasn't on your mind I don't think you'd be asking this question IMHO.

Goid Luck, hope you stick around....

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

White Dove
on 8/22/17 7:05 am - Warren, OH

You might find reversal stories on the revision board.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 8/22/17 7:34 am
VSG on 03/13/14

At less than a month post-op, I agree that you're going through some hardcore buyer's remorse right now. I sincerely hope that you're talking with a therapist to work through this. You're not even fully healed from your RNY and it seems like you're really panicking.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 8/22/17 8:39 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

If you type reversal in the search box you will find some posts on this.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Grim_Traveller
on 8/22/17 8:54 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Take a breath. Please. You are going to drive yourself totally bat crap crazy if you keep going down this road. Take a breath, and focus on how to make the best of this wonderful opportunity you have at an obesity-free life.

Reversals are extremely, extremely rare. I know of 2 people who died from them. They aren't done lightly.

Information is good. But looking for information and planning for the most extremely unlikely events is bordering on paranoid. Someone who plans for a tornado in Oklahoma or Kansas is smart. Someone who plans for a tornado in my neck of the woods is wasting their time and worrying about nothing.

Honestly, worry about things that you ought to be worried about. You are really just stuck, spinning your wheels about this.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Amy R.
on 8/22/17 9:44 am

I hate to see you putting yourself through all of this right now, but it's because I strongly believe that given time you will actually be happy you had your surgery. The only reversals I have ever seen personally have been due to severe complications. Revisions to another surgery happen a little more frequently but honestly I think they are just as dangerous.

That ^^^^^ was my disclaimer.

To address your questions/curiosity. You'll likely find most reversals/revisions on either the Complications Forums, the Failed Weight Loss Surgery forums or the Revision forum here on OH. And of course there is a chance you can dredge some things up using the search box.

Frankly there is much more "reversal" information out on the internet. Google it and you'll get pages and pages back. OH is a self-selecting group and isn't really set up to address the reversal questions in detail. There are a handful here but most reversed due to extreme health issues and so will have a completely different perspective than what you're looking for (if I'm understanding you correctly).

Taking down an RnY is serious, serious business. Find out all you can, including which surgeons do take-downs and how many they have performed. Talk to ALL of those in your area. Please don't assume your original surgeon is qualified. Many aren't and that's not a dig at your surgeon it's just the truth.

You are determined, and that is certainly your right. It's your body. Those of us who've been here awhile honestly hope you choose to wait a few months before you decide to reverse because we are flat out scared for you. I'M scared for you. But I would rather have you obtain every single bit of information on reversals so that you can make an educated decision than have you make your decision flying blind. It's in that spirit that I've offered the above.

Good Luck.

Most Active