Documentary - Yes or No?

GUY57
on 9/9/17 2:02 pm

... and so it begins.

What's in a username? What is it supposed to say about me.... about my journey? The keyboard lay in front of me... silently mocking.. not offering anything in terms of advice or hints as to what to write. I just couldn't think of something creatively clever... something uniquely me. I'm a Writer/Director/Producer... who gets paid to be clever... so why couldn't I think of something? In a just-get-it-done moment... my fingers clicked the keys and it came out GUY57. My name is Guy and I'm 57 years old. I-n-spiring!

I came back weeks later to see if I could change it... but the more I though about it.... the more it became the right username for me. My 57th year will be like and unlike any of the past 56.... a year of change.

My name is GUY57.... and I hope to hear your story.

I go to Guelph on Thursday September 14, 2017 for my first orientation. I am led to believe we are assigned some sort of support group to help us along in our journey. I've been debating whether to do a documentary on my experience going through this process. Youtube testimonials are thankfully plentiful and informative; however, few are from Canada... and even fewer have multiple people all going through the process at the same time.

My question is a simple one. Documentary - Yes or No?

DanielleRN76
on 9/9/17 3:06 pm
RNY on 08/14/17

I say Yes! I think it's so helpful for others to see different journeys and experiences. Plus it would be a great way for you to look back over your progress and see the changes, struggles, joys etc..

GUY57
on 9/9/17 3:08 pm

Thanks for the feedback DanielleRN76! ;-)

I definitely admire the courage of those who have documented their journey before me!

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:37 pm

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!! ;-)

peachpie
on 9/9/17 6:13 pm - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

Normally I'd say no-- but since you're a writer/director/producer you may have the skills to turn out a video/vlog, whatever, that doesn't leave me rolling my eyes in frustration.

Pre-op I watched a few you tube vids- haven't looked back since then though. I'd be curious to know if post-ops follow them. And in my experience, pre-ops who start them fizzle out in keeping up post op, since living a regular life eventually takes over.

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:27 pm

Hey peachpie! ;-)

Help me out.... what makes you roll your eyes in frustration?

Most of the vids that I have seen are not done by a professional.... but the rawness is sometimes better than the polish. If you could tell me what you don't like... it may make the final decision for me easier to make!

One of the videos that I subscribed to was Chemistry Queen ( https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWzsQ3aaTNFz-Pq86c8itaw ). She shows such courage in showing all the good and bad of WLS.

My regular life is my creative life.. so maybe I can produce something that will make your eyes roll in surprise! ;-D

Thanks again my friend!

GUY57

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:36 pm

p.s. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCCESS!!! ;-)

missc_26
on 9/9/17 11:05 pm
VSG on 10/03/16

I agree with others, if you have the resources to document your journey go for it. I think it would be especially helpful for other men who may feel they are not able to openly discuss this with others.

GUY57
on 9/10/17 1:30 pm

Hello missc_26! ;-)

You make a very strong point here. I find a million vids about women who undergo WLS... but very few men who are strong enough to express what they go through. Great point to consider!

Thanks again my friend!

GUY57

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/10/17 4:16 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

A good quality video, covering pre-op and post-op would be great. Ideally out at least a year post-op to assist people in truly understanding what it is like to prepare, have the surgery, go through diet progression, and to deal with the "real" world of eating after WLS.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active