Late night eating! Help!!!

We3wimps
on 9/13/17 3:59 pm

I have always been a late night "snacker". I try not to eat after 8 o'clock now but it is really hard. I find myself watching tv one minute and in the kitchen the next looking for something to snack on when I'm not even hungry. Any ideas on help with this or ideas on what would be a late night snack on nights that I really want something?

MeerKat1994
on 9/13/17 5:07 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Oh I so get this! Pre-surgery I would eat healthy all day then totally sabotage myself by binging at night.

Ive found a couple of good ways to curb the nighttime cravings. 1. Write little post it notes to yourself and place them on your cabinets or typical snack food. Even your bowels and plates. Something all long the lines of "I'm not hungery, I'm craving. If I eat this I will be upset and feel crummy. Is it worth it?" Seeing these cause me to pause and reflect on what I really want. 2. I really like to drink a hot cup of Chicken Bone broth before bed. I get flavor, protein, and this feeling of completion that sometimes comes with bed time snacking. It's really helped me.

Also, putting my daily calories into my fitness pal before I eat for the day really helps me stay on track throughout the day.

MeerKat1994
on 9/13/17 5:10 pm
RNY on 05/09/17

Oh also, I heard this quote from a surgeon that I like to remind myself of when I want to eat unhealthy. He said that we often "treat" our selves by indulging in bad food choices because we "deserve it". What he argues is that we "deserve" our health and better quality life, junk food won't do this. Junk food is the exact opposite of what we deserve and that long term it isn't a treat.

We3wimps
on 9/13/17 5:17 pm

I find myself using the "rewarding" activity all the time. I didn't realize how much I nibbled or "tasted" things. Especially when I am cooking! I have started drinking a bottle of water about 10 minutes before I cook. It seems to help a little.

We3wimps
on 9/13/17 5:12 pm

Thank you so much for your reply. I have been trying to remember to ask myself those tyoe of questions. I never thought about little post its tho. That is a great idea. Maybe if I actually see it in writing it will help more. This may seem dumb but what is chicken bone broth? Is it just regular chicken broth?

MeerKat1994
on 9/14/17 11:39 am
RNY on 05/09/17

Bone broth is pretty much what it sounds like, broth derived from the bones of either chicken or cows. You can make it in an oven or slower cooker. It's most tasty that way, and you can play around with taste a little bit. But it takes a long time. So when I'm lazy I just go to Walmart and buy the brand "Sam's Bone Broth". It's pretty tasty.

Whats nice about bone broth verses regular broth is that it has a decent amount of protein in it. The boxed brands have less, usually 7-10 grams of protein. Whereas homemade has closer to 10-15.

We3wimps
on 9/14/17 12:11 pm

Thanks, I am not much of a cook. I can cook the usual things and have been trying new things. I love to cook but am a picky eater. Luckily, I hve a 15 year old who will eat anything!! I will try the one from walmarg for sure and will probably try one i the crock pot.

Gwen M.
on 9/13/17 5:18 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Reschedule your meals so that you're eating your last meal at 8 or 9pm?

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/17 6:31 pm

Oh boy o boy.... head hunger is really the WORST hanger on after a lifetime of coping with excess food addiction. Truly I wish there was an easier softer way... couldn't find it ... taming this tiger is much harder than stopping drinking or drugs (((()))) . I'm sorry to tell you the bad news.

We3wimps
on 9/14/17 12:13 pm

You are so right. I never thought this would be so hard. I already got past my soda addiction so I am pretty sure I can do this too. Lol

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1366 views