Documenting My WLS Journey on YouTube?

Lina_Ann
on 9/25/17 10:31 pm

Hey everyone, hope you're having a smooth week!

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm always on YouTube. When I was first looking into WLS, I struggled to find detailed videos of peoples experiences.

Im wondering what you guys think of me video blogging my journey. Like a mini documentary? I think it would be interesting to other people...I think?

Do any of you upload to YouTube? Let me know!

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

SkinnyScientist
on 9/26/17 3:39 am

If you are a person that can take stalkers and people making fun of you/saying mean things/criticizing you- then by all means.

I personally love watching shows like 600 lb life and where morbidly obese people struggle and overcome. There was one about a team of people that ran a ragnar-they had all been morbidly obese and running aided their weightloss efforts and improved health.

But you and I may be the RARE peeps out there. Those that see these things and feel encouraged.

It seems the internet brings out THE WORST in people. The autonimity (spelling issue there!) makes them mean, callous, and trolls. Ok...maybe that is the minority of people but they are a vocal minority.

I got enough issues between losing the weight, dealing with food addiction (you never really recover), dealing with body image issues, and wondering if my body will be able to pull off a full marathon THIS time (I am on my THIRD attempt at my first FULL marathon) that I just don't need a steady stream of people ******g on me. I don't.

For example, I have had some regain-working on that 12 lbs. Some colleagues at the work gym (true *****es) came up to me and said "You have gained some weight?" Me: "Yeah. About 12 lbs. That is why I am here!" Them: "Well before you were too skinny but you don't want to gain anymore" (like it was something I WANTED to do). I wanted to kick the 3 of them in the crotch so bad, but I was outnumbered.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Lina_Ann
on 9/26/17 4:13 am

I'd like to think I have pretty thick skin. I was in adult entertainment almost 6 years ago and would constantly get insults, weirdos, etc. From the RNY videos I have watched, there wasn't very many mean comments being said. We shall see I guess.

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

Gina 21 Years Out
on 9/26/17 5:08 am - Burleson, TX

SS - Try to ignore those work/gym haters and just work on YOU. Be glad you didn't kick them in the crotch. The crotch probably would have been HUGE, and you might not have been able to get your foot back out :)

Have you done a HALF marathon yet? They are excellent training, for working up to a FULL

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

SkinnyScientist
on 9/26/17 6:08 am

Awww. Thank you for the kind support! :)

I have actually done THREE half marathons and have shown improvement in times over each one.

The full marathon dream is something I have always wanted to do since I was 20. In my 20s...I just wanted to do one before I turned 40. I am now 41 and haven't been able to pull it off!

Last time, it was "only walking" after I developed IT band issues and had to drop out of marine corp marathon just a month or two before it! Heart breaking!

This time, I have researched shoes that are good for IT band issues (i.e. ones that really absorb impact..like Wave Rider 20s and Hoka One Ones...I bought a pair for each for training!). I have learned about cadence-I used to overstride and do few LONGER strides than smaller faster ones. I know have a cadence app that plays a beat...right now I got it set to 173...the sports physiologist said shoot for 186..but you got to increase cadence slowly), own a foam roller and use it, and learned stretches specifically for the hips and IT band.

So maybe...just maybe I can make my dream come true by April 2018. I have already deferred this marathon once ..so I am going to do it...even if I have to walk it. If you dont meet the course cut off, they re-route you, you get a half-marathon time instead of a full, and a half marathon finisher medal (I still like swag).

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Gina 21 Years Out
on 9/26/17 6:46 am - Burleson, TX

I've done 3 half-marathons, and didn't do the first until I was OVER 50 --you have plenty of time to fulfill your dream.

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Gwen M.
on 9/26/17 7:24 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I think that you can do whatever you want :)

Personally, I've never watched any youtube videos of WLS people and greatly prefer reading blogs. (Real blogs, not the OH blogs.)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kathy1212
on 9/26/17 9:01 am

I started documenting my journey on Youtube from the beginning (I'm Shrinking Kathy) and it has been invaluable to me. There is a vibrant, supportive weight loss surgery community on Youtube and I've never had one negative comment, only positive ones. If/when I do get inappropriate comments, I'll just delete them.

Needing to upload regular videos has been great for keeping me more accountable than I might have been otherwise. I also like that I can see my progress, but the main thing has been the support. I do weekly updates and in 7 months have only missed one, due to illness.

You can always try it to see if you like it. If you decide you don't, you can make your videos private or delete them.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

Most Active