Protein Shakes

One-derland
on 10/3/17 1:23 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

I am still 20 days pre-op....I am already trying to prep ahead of schedule. My question (today haha) is after my operation, how do I know if I can not handle a protein shake at all.... or I need to slow down.... From what I have not all dumping is from food you can't handle at all.

Notaboutperfect
on 10/3/17 1:48 pm
VSG on 11/08/16

My experience was that, especially right after surgery I couldn't do anything more than just sip. You'll get really sick of sipping. I never over-sipped a protein shake because I struggled to take in anything for a while. Once past the first week or so, liquid has never caused me a problem restriction-wise. If you mean "handle" in terms of taste--there is no way to predict if your taste will change after surgery.

As far as dumping...this is term I don't really use because I've never been clear that it happens to VSG patients? However, my body definitely reacts to sugar. I have it so rarely that the times I've had some it makes me feel like I have the flu--sweaty, headachy, light headed, and diarrhea. (awesome) This is a response I might have grown accustomed to prior to surgery. What I mean is, I lived on sugar, refined carbs, etc so my body was acclimated and addicted to the sugar response. Now I hate it. I never had this reaction to a protein shake.

I'm not sure if I answered your questions! You're in a super exciting time, I wish you the best!!

One-derland
on 10/3/17 2:59 pm
VSG on 11/01/17

yes. I know even now, I cant handle certain foods, and they all make me feel a bit different. But I went ahead and bought like tons of protein shakes.... forgetting, just because I "like" them now, does not mean I will like them In 3 weeks. I am only on a 3 day pre-op diet, but I think I am going to do mostly protein shakes anyways, plus the rest of my bagels, and a splurge night of chicken wings. I have suck a busy life I have no time to get sick from food.....

Most Active