start of optifast and having issues

sunny2017
on 10/22/17 7:00 am

Hi Everyone

I just started optifast on friday October 20th, I have both the vanilla and the chocolate.

What I am finding is when I have the vanilla otifast, I have bowel issues, but strangely when

I drink the chocolate I do not....I am taking 2 fibre capsules before each optifast and I am

drinking at least 64 oz of water throughout the day. Anyone else having this issue

hollykim
on 10/22/17 8:22 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On October 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, sunny2017 wrote:

Hi Everyone

I just started optifast on friday October 20th, I have both the vanilla and the chocolate.

What I am finding is when I have the vanilla otifast, I have bowel issues, but strangely when

I drink the chocolate I do not....I am taking 2 fibre capsules before each optifast and I am

drinking at least 64 oz of water throughout the day. Anyone else having this issue

what kind of bowel issues? If one flavor bothers you but the other doesn't, it is apparently some ingredient in the vanilla that doesn't agree with you. I would use only the choc.

sunny2017
on 10/22/17 9:20 am

thanks for answering so quickly

I am having diarrhea with only the vanilla optifast

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/22/17 9:21 am

A while back I tested positive for allergy to vanilla. I know weird. But it is what it is.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

sunny2017
on 10/22/17 9:37 am

thanks for your quick response, I am going to call the Bariactric Team at Toronto Western tomorrow

hoping I can switch out my vanilla for chocolate

Lina_Ann
on 10/22/17 12:21 pm

Allergy to vanilla, or they use a different sweetener :/

Referral: June 2017
RNY with Dr. Neville in Ottawa: January 8th, 2018

sunny2017
on 10/22/17 1:19 pm

you are the 2nd person to say possible allergy

I will be calling hosital first thing in the morning

thank you

Sharon SW-267
GW-165 CW-167 S.

on 10/22/17 1:06 pm - PA
RNY on 12/22/14

Pre-op, I mixed the optifast with a little cold water and cold diet choc soda - more volume and taste. I had to shop around for the diet choh soda, but many stores had it and I would stock up when I found it.

If the choc is OK, stick with it. For post op, See if you can try one of the other brands. I used Pure Protein -35 g per 12 oz. I was able to get many flavors on the Vit Shoppe web site - prob available other places.

Sharon

sunny2017
on 10/22/17 1:22 pm

thanks everyone for your responses

I was getting a little worried but I am calling bariactric team fist thing in the morning

you have all been very helpful!

Lab_Ogre
on 10/23/17 12:04 am
RNY on 11/20/17

Certainly, check it out, but I haven't had a "regular" BM in the week I've been on my 5-week Optifast adventure. I have mild gastroparesis, and before the diet I managed it by not eating too much at once, now I'm finding I don't have any kind of "schedule" to use the washroom, but every couple of days I will need to go. Like NOW. I have an appointment with the NP tomorrow, so I'll double check to make sure this isn't out of the ordinary. The point I mean to make is, if all you are eating are the shakes, and no actual solid food, expect any BMs you have to reflect that.

And expect to pee. A LOT...

Most Active
Slim For the Summer (2024)
Melaya · 0 replies · 1230 views